B/RB vacuum advance source?

Can someone tell me where I can find a source for an early 70's B/RB vacuum advance? Preferably adjustable but not necessarily? I've hit every parts store in the area and the only one that claims to be able to get it just tried to sell me an A/LA unit (opposite rotation.) I need the B/RB unit for an electronic ignition conversion that I'm doing to my old Studebaker, using a '73ish MoPar distributor for the guts and a '62 Stude Autolite unit for the housing. Trying to explain that alone to the counter help is confusing enough :) Anyway has anyone had any luck finding one of these? My parts distributor has a bad diaphragm in the vacuum advance and I'm having zippy joy finding a replacement. The stock Stude unit won't work with the MoPar "breaker" plate sadly.

The good news is the entire conversion looks like it's going slick as greased owl poop, just had to cut a notch in the dist. body for the

2-wire harness other than that everything so far has been 100% bolt on. The only trick has been figuring out which pieces of which distributor need to be used, I haven't modified anything else yet. Will be interesting to see what my advance curve looks like though, if it's anything usable without tweaking (guessing no, since I used the weights and springs from the MoPar as the weights from the Stude dist. are laminated sheet steel and notorious for wearing out and taking out the pivots with them while the MoPar ones look like cast iron with oilite bushings)

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've done several of these conversions. You will need to modify the reluctor to correct a phase discrepency between the rotor and the cap, it amounts to cutting a new relocated keyway in the bore of the reluctor.

For the big block vacuum advance unit try Year One, their part number is NG1025; about $20.

John Kunkel

NAPA (Echlin) or any store that carries Standard-BlueStreak. Spend a few minutes with the older-car application catalogue and the buyer's guide; both lines still have a great many different advances for these engines and you should be able to get one that works the way you want it to.

Crane used to make adjustable vacuum advance units for Mopar G/RG, A, and B/RB engines. I just got off the phone with the Crane techline, whereon the guy claimed Crane never made any such a product.

I looked up the advance in the NAPA Echlin line for a '66 Dodge Charger w/383 engine. This pre-smog application would seem a good match for your '62. There are two possibilities listed: VC1165 and VC1175. Here are the specs:

VC1165: Advance starts at 8 to 10 In. HG vacuum

VC1175: Advance starts at 4.5 to 8 In. HG vacuum

No spec is given (rats!) for the total amount of advance these units provide, but that's not a big deal...you can read it right off the pull arm; the number is given in distributor degrees (e.g. "6.5R" or "7X") which you double to get crankshaft degrees (ignore the letter after the number).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You mean like Ebay 4500838245 .

I love how Year One pretends that just one vacuum advance, which *fits* all B/RB single-point or electronic distributors, *works* in all of them.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hey, Ehrenberg, what's wrong with Stuttgart? (but neat idea anyway)

Well, sure, it'll work. Just how well is the question. Actually if you keep your foot flat to the floor you'll never notice a difference :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hi

I believe all elecronic vacuum advances are adjustable so any one WILL work.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268

I'd like to know that also. Mopar electronic distributors last FOREVER (no side-load whatsoever on the bushings) except for the vacuum advance. The only way I know to get a new vacuum advance unit is to buy a rebuilt distributor, put its vacuum advance on my old distributor, and throw the "reman" distributor in the attic in case I ever get desparate enough to be forced to use questionable junk some day...

The really sad thing is that whenever I find a junkyard distributor with a vacuum advance that doesn't leak, I grab it and use it and even though it may be nearly 40 years old, it lasts longer than the new cr*ppy ones they put on cr*ppy re-manufactured distributors :-/

Interesting project you've got going, BTW. If you need to re-curve the Mopar unit, there are a lot of different advance springs that have been used over the years. Lightweight springs (fast advance) are easy to come by at speed shops or online, but if you need to slow the advance down you have to go junkyard diving. One interesting thing to note is that stock Mopar setups had one "light" and one "heavy" spring, but the heavy spring had a slotted end hook so it didn't do ANYTHING until the very end of the advance curve. IOW, running two stock "light" springs will actually SLOW the advance curve up to the point where the "heavy" spring would finally kick in, at which point it becomes faster. Not usually a problem, though, as speeding up the curve at the tail end of the curve (higher RPM) generally doesn't cause problems.

Reply to
Steve

Last time I checked, single-point vacuum can doesn't even *fit* in an electronic distributor.

Reply to
Steve

BZZT. That would be a single-point, he needs an electronic distributor. The housings are the same, but the advance mechanisms don't swap because the pivot plate for points differs from the pivot plate for a reluctor. Something like a '72 C-body (440 or 383) would be a good starting point.

If you can actually FIND such an animal for sale retail, let me know!

Reply to
Steve

Sure, if you'd rather spend 40 bucks for something that takes five minutes to do yourself.

"Fits" and "works" are relative terms, since the swap in question requires a little more than bolting parts together, the "fits" is correct; the "works" depends on how fussy one is.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Naw, they aren't. Something fits properly or it doesn't. Something works properly or it doesn't.

Wanting an engine to run properly is not being "fussy".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

With that smogger advance curve? Yetch.

I'll get on it.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Huh?!

Pages upon pages upon PAGES of brand new vacuum advances in the Echlin and Standard-Bluestreak catalogues. Applications going back to the '50s and earlier.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yeah it appears that the Stude advance was set up the same way. Actually this conversion is for sale commercially from one of the Stude parts vendors but I'm chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal and decided to see if I could figure out how he does it rather than spend $300.

Of course, I may come close to that by the time I'm done, but at least I'll have spent lots of time on it and maybe I'll know what I'm doing

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

72 hadn't changed much (if at all) from earlier. And you can always migrate the mechanical distributor's weights and springs over to the electronic housing.
Reply to
Steve

Had so. The small changes came in '68; the big change came in '70 and '71.

True, but that does nothing about the vacuum advance curve.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Just in case anyone was wondering, I almost got the electronic conversion together and then went to look at a car for sale:

of course, this car has an (incorrect but more desirable, and easily converted with Pertronix or similar) Delco "window" distributor so it looks like the conversion won't be used, as I can't keep my '62 and the convertible at the same time.

Oh well, such is life. I suppose I ought to finish it anyway just to prove that I can do it. Thanks for the help, anyways. I did eventually find a parts store that hooked me up with a vacuum unit that fit.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What is G/RG?

Thanks.

Reply to
clemslay

Slant six, I believe. I think the 225 had a taller deck, hence RG.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

G is the 170 cubic inch slant-6. RG is the 198 and 225 cubic inch slant-6.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern