backup light bulb upgrade

I have a 2003 PT with deep tinted glass. At night, the stock backup lights aren't bright enough to give me a good view through the tinted glass. Where can I get some brighter bulbs?

Cory

Reply to
Cory

J.C. Whitney sells 50-watt halogen backup bulbs. BUT, my guess is that the bulb housing wouldn't take the extra heat and would warp or melt. Also, the wiring size probably isn't the correct gauge to handle the additional current draw of the higher wattage...may even blow the fuse.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

So do local auto parts stores.

Those are both very good and accurate guesses.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That's a problem with deep tinted glass!

It's already been explained that the 50w halogen "ultra" backup bulbs are hazardous to your car and therefore your wallet. You can get a little more brightness, not a lot, by replacing the 3157 bulb with a 3357/3457.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You could always run a main power feed back from the battery and connect a "driving lite" to it, using a relay triggered by the backup lamp circuit. Works good on my vehicles wired to tow trailers, as I have Aux power back there already.

Reply to
clare

even with any extra lighting, the close stuff still will not show. If it is below the viewing area from looking out the window, NO light will help. Aside from a very poor turning radius, the rear window visibility is also poor.

still like my 2001 5 sp with about 32K on it.

just have to get used to the "foibles"...... h

-- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER: THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

Reply to
Howard