bearing noise???

Hello,

I have a problem with my '01 Concorde -- it developed a slight humming noise that is present in the range of 30-45MPH -- I am not sure if the noise is present at speeds above 45MPH as the engine/wind noise drowns out the humming.

The noise is independent of whether the car is accelerating/braking and it does not matter whether the transmission is in Drive or Neutral.

I suspect that I have a bad wheel bearing, however, I am somewhat stumped as to how identify which one is bad. I suspect that it is front right one, as the noise seems to come from that general direction, but I am not sure as it is not loud enough... I tried jacking up one wheel at a time to see whether there is any freeplay -- none whatsoever on any of the wheels.

Any advice/suggestions would be highly appreciated....

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
april1st

Take it to a dealer and swap all four and have peace of mind. Bearings are cheap!

Reply to
Burgerman

Unfortunately, it is not just the bearing -- it is the bearing/hub assembly, and those do cost some money -- front ones are nearly $100

-- so I'd rather replace just the failed one...

Reply to
april1st

I'll give you the very good advise I was given here by Maxpower

My wife's '01 Sebring at only 20k miles had the hum from the front at those speeds and Glen said: When driving along turn hard is each direction. When it hums most it's the wheel on the outside of the turn that is bad.

After determining the bad side, the right one, I took it to the dealer and they agreed, but said the other side also has a very slight hum, so they wisely suggested replacing both sides. The dealer cost was about CDN $ 500. for both bearing assemblies. Seems those Chrysler bearing assemblies for the '01 year hard quite a short life!

Surprisingly a few months later my '95 Concord developed a looseness in the front wheels causing a rubbing of the brake pads. The fix was new front wheel bearings at 80k miles, also about CDN $ 500. at Speedy.

Reply to
Some O

I disagree with that advice as the rear bearings very seldom go bad, and with added labor, the replacement cost of the 4 bearings will be far from cheap. Replacing both fronts, I wouldn't disagree with, though if it were me, I'd just do the bad one (and I'd do the work myself)

Bill Putney

Glenn and I have discussed this before. IMO, replace the one that is on the side that you turn towards that makes it louder.

Bill Putney

Thank you all for the advice -- I will try to work on it tomorrow and let you know what happens...

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
april1st