Brake dust question

I have a 2003 Caravan, which I got recently with only 23,000 km. I have never had a vehicle that produced front brake dust like this. Within two hours of driving the front wheels are black. I haven't gotten into the brakes to see if there is an issue, but I seem to notice the same thing on other Caravans. Is this normal for this vehicle? Why is it so susceptible?

Reply to
Peer Lovell

You might switch over to ceramic pads - available from tirerack.com (Akebono ProACT brand), NAPA, and a host of other aftermarket sources. Ceramics are supposedly very long-wearing and low dust - I'm getting ready to order the Akebonos for my Concorde based on good things I've read about them on the 300M ezBoard.

Bill Putney

Reply to
David Allen

Hey - watch those typos!! 8^)

Bill Putney

You're not alone. Ford/Lincoln received so many complaints that they changed the pads for free on the Expy and Navigators. Unfortunately, not all dealerships were willing to do so.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I don't think Bill has said anything here that warrants that adjective! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Well, no - not in *this* thread! 8^)

Bill Putney

Yes; it is normal. One suggestion is to apply a good polish to the wheels. This will make it easier to wash the dust off.

I did try the ceramic pads on my 96 mini-van and it did seem to do the trick. I also switched to those nice Italian rotors Tire Rack offers. Too bad the transmission case cracked just a few months later, so I don't have any long term experience with this.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
David Allen

I tried ceramic pads on the front of my 2002 Caravan to help with that horrible black dust. It did help alot, but every 5-6k miles the rotors would develop a sort of invisible glaze on them and the steering wheel would develop an anoying wobble when stopping. I took the rotors back twice to the auto parts store for resurfacing, and they always said they took hardly anything off cause the rotors were smooth and not warped at all. Each time the brakes worked smoothly after that. After the second round of this, I changed back to regular pads and put up with the dust. Maybe also a perception, but I can stop better with the regular pads, maybe because they are softer and grip better? The ceramic pads have a copper look to them. Perhaps someone can come up with a heavy duty clear plastic "dust deflector" disk to fit onto the studs prior to mounting the rim, if it would not interfere with cooling the rotor. Just my experience. Rick

Reply to
Rick

Reply to
jdoe

Reply to
David Allen

Reply to
deadbeat

Reply to
jdoe

------------ If ceramics are installed in just the fronts, does this change the overall braking characteristics of the vehicle ? TIA ! Zork

Reply to
Zork

tirerack.com

Reply to
David Allen

For the purist, it does. In actuallity, people mix and match all the time with no problems.

Any given pad will have a certain friction coefficient, and, excluding the very bottom of the scale, they all are within some range of about

25%. The factory designs in a balance between front and rear, but it isn't an exact science - some of it is for perception, or to determine what happens under extreme conditions (which wheels lock up first, etc.). For example, with a 300M, depending on the brake package you get, the proportioning valve will have a different front-to-rear factor

- same car, but the proportining is different simply because of the brake/handling package. ABS lessens the importance of any difference in front and rear pad friction.

Bill Putney