Brake noise problem - PT Cruiser

My 2001 cruiser just turned 60,000. Just a few days ago, it started making grinding noises from the front driver brake area - dealer replaced the front rotors as they were "thin and warped" - $352.00.

BUT, my main problem through most of the time I've had the car (15,000 mi, first noted) is with a grinding noise from the rear passenger brake that occurs either right before it rains, or on the first day it rains. After it has been raining a day or so, during the summer, and winter - no noise. The car is garaged and driven almost daily.

I've had it looked at several times by 2 dealer shops - remedies have been to ignore it because it "goes away" and to clean the drum (of rust) and it stops making the noise until it's ready to rain again. And, yesterday I was told that this noise was normal with newer cars (yeah, right all 3 of my cars make this noise, and other people live with this noise - NOT!).

Sad part is, they serviced it on Tuesday, it rained Wednesday morning (yesterday) so when I picked it up yesterday evening, on my first braking it made the noise. I drove around to the other side of the Chrysler shop, and sure enough it occurred each of the 3 times I had to brake. I went in and talked to the service manager who made the comment, "I was afraid that was going to happen when it sat out last night".

His idea to try today is to put some type of brake silencer that was used for the Neon on that brake drum and see if fixes the problem. He said they'd have to rotate the wheel to "burn" it in?????? He wasn't sure that would fix the problem, or if they could fix the problem, I'd just have to live with it.

So, I'm wondering why it's only my passenger rear making this noise? Are there problems with other cars with this brake noise. I've seached the web, and haven't found any rampant issues on braking noises. Are any other Cruiser owners having this type of problem?

I mentioned the car being a lemon, and was laughed off by the service manager saying there was nothing dangerous about my problem. After reading the law, I see it doesn't have to be dangerous, just something that can't be fixed. Unfortunately, I've probably waited too long with the problem, but it still doesn't change the fact that they haven't been able to fix the problem since 15,000 miles to make it go away - just the weather can do that!

And it has been something I have "lived with", it just my dental bills that are costing more as my teeth grind and my jaw clamps everytime the brakes grind.....

Reply to
damita

I have had this problem with my PT but have also had it on other vehicles. On damp nights a thin film of rust forms on the brake disks and the first few times you brake the grinding is heard untill the disks are polished up.

John Rogers

Reply to
John Rogers

Mine does the exact same thing. It doesn't bother me, as I have had several cars that have done it over the years. Drives my wife crazy though.

Reply to
Steve Moore

It is a problem with many models since they took asbestos out of brake pads. Also on some models there are clips or springs that need to be replaced during a brake job. If they are re-used they permit tiny vibrations which cause squeal.

Reply to
Art
040520 1538 - Steve Moore posted:

It's one of those things that once you understand what it is you can live with it. It only lasts for the first couple of applications of the brakes.

Reply to
indago