Brakes for 1996 Dodge Neon

Neo has about 85,000 city miles. Last night I heard some noise with the right front brakes. Brake was grind/squeaking.

comments from repair shop, here in Columbus OH

Front brakes have 5% friction material remaining on left side. Right side has 0%. Right Front rotors rust pitted. Rears have 80% friction material.

recommendations: front calipers, rotors clean and adjust rear brakes

What they want to do:

  1. remove and replace front caliper- includes bleed and replace pads if necessary. Both Sides, Front or rear
  2. Clean and adjust rear brakes

costs;

  1. caliper - remove and replace $ 91.00
  2. Clean and adjust rear brakes 32.50
  3. Front Left caliper #5011071AA 199.54
  4. Front Right caliper 199.54
  5. Disc Rotor- front,5 stud #4509718 (2) 114.50

Questions:

  1. Are the prices reasonable?
  2. Are the parts list right?
  3. Am I being "over charged" for anything?
  4. Is there any thing missing?

I don't see the need to clean and adjust rear brakes

thanks for your help.

Reply to
David Sherman

Your cost for the parts if you bought them would be:

3 Front Left Caliper 56.71 4 Front Right Caliper 56.71 5 Wagner 5 stud rotor 39.82each

I usually figure a shop will double the cost on parts but they are really sticking it to you on those calipers.

Not on the parts

I'm suprised that you need new calipers at your mileage but that can depend a lot on where you live due to salt and corrosion. I would get a second opinion.

Yes. See above

Clean and adjust on the rears is a good idea. If the back brakes are out of adjustment the front ones have to do all the work and wear out sooner.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

You're really being taken advantage of on the price of the parts. $200 a pop for a rebuilt caliper on a car as common as a Neon is thievery.

I would suggest you shop their proposal around a bit, including calling the local NAPA yourself and asking for the price on the parts.

I'd suggest you have the brake fluid completely flushed out and replaced while you're having this work done.

It's worthwhile.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff