Built in HomeLink transmitter unit in visor

The HomeLink module in my sun visor has stopped sending signals to the garage door opener. Dealer says it's not covered under extended warranty. He wants $500 for a new HomeLink equipped visor..

Is the transmitter located in the visor, or is it elsewhere in the vehicle and just the push buttons in the visor?

If the transmitter is in the visor, anyone know if you can buy just the transmitter and DIY the replacement??

TIA

Reply to
QX

Do you think it might be a good idea to tell us what kind of car you have?

Go and get a replacement transmitter or over-head visor / console from a local junk yard.

Reply to
MoPar Man

OOps, 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with grey leather interior. Visor also has lighted courtesy mirror on the inside, which lights up fine. None in the local junk yards. A Dodge dealer who sells online wants $367, local dealer wants $500. I just want to make sure that the pushbuttons and the transmitter is in the visor, and not that the pushbuttons are in the visor, and the transmitter is under the hood or some other place.

Reply to
QX

QX

Make sure the programming in the garage door receiver is not the problem. And there are after market transmitters that are available.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

It's the HomeLink unit in the visor. The Genie remote works fine.

Reply to
QX

So you know that the other remote works fine, but you don't know that the HomeLink is still programmed correctly.

Modern garage door receivers use a separate code for each transmitter and the code changes with each use. If anything goes wrong with receiver programming, it is very possible that some remotes will work and others will not.

Did you try re-programming the HomeLink? Did you also try programming a HomeLink button to a different garage door? (If you don't have an extra garage door, maybe a friend will let you, he can delete your Homelink later.

Even if there *was* something wrong on your car's end (much less likely than a programming mismatch), I would look for a broken antenna connection before I paid $50 for a new visor, let alone $500. Even then, I would probably just buy a $10 remote. But odds are your HomeLink transmitter is working just fine, just needs to be mutually reprogrammed with your receiver.

Reply to
Greg Houston