theguy

Nope - it went another 100,000 and I never added oil between changes. I sold it with 223,000 miles on it in 1973 (you heard right) to go to Africa. I had to finish my '53 Coronet before I left, so the Dart went and I put some miles on a '65 Rambler 'till I got the Hemi going. Took it ( the '53 Hemi Coronet)from Elmira Ontario to PEI for it's first outing, then drove it back home and put it in storage for 2 years. That Dart was not totally stock - it was "tuned" and really liked running at 4500 RPM. Not quite like my old '63 Valiant (170) that REGULARLY turned over 5000. The Valiant had to run Champion N3 or Nippondenso W25 plugs or it burned them off in short order. The Dart was good on N7 or N9, IIRC, but was really hard on N14s. The Dart was OK on regular, but the Valiant was pretty much a "premium" engine.Sunoco 260 preffered. (206 RW HP on the dyno through the torquflite)60 in low, 90 in second, and pin the needle in third.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You gotta learn to read da English, Dave. No, I said quite densely populated and 2 of the 5 poorest countries in the world. Average income in the village I visited was well under $14 per man/woman and child per year. And it was one of the more "prosperous" villages. In the cities or large towns, like Banfora things were a bit better, but even in Ougadougou, the capital, poverty was VERY evident. As was Aids.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Well, when we take little brother's F150 up to his place in Gravenhurst ( from Kitchener) without the trailer, and without the Quad on the back, it gets 25 miles to the Canadian Gallon if he doesn't push it too hard. It's a 4X4 V8. That's about the same he gets when he takes his daughters Escort wagon - which is kept in a good state of tune. Actually, if he doesn't chase the Escort he can get close to 30.If he chases the F150, less than half that.

In town - a TOTALLY different story. My 94 TransSport 3.8 can't do that(25). My old 3.0 New Yorker could approach 25 - not sure what the 2.5 Mystique is doing - it doesn't hit the highway too often.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The old L200 MitsuShitty was sold here as a Dodge D50 - a half ton truck in America.

Well, virtuall the same Mazda/Ranger is sold here as a half ton by both Mazda and Ford..

MOST Hilux are sold as 1/2 ton trucks, although the frame is the same on the 1 ton. Yes, the Hilux is sold as a 1 ton - but not NEARLY all of them. We used to have Hilux 1/2 and one ton pickups, as well as 1 ton commercial cab and chassis when we imported them from Japan. Our Tacoma is American built, and not available as a 1 ton - as MOST american users require a larger truck when they want a 1 ton capacity.

In North America we have the Toyota Tacoma 1/2 ton, and a few 3/4 ton versions,(875-1640 lb payload) as well as the honking big Tundra. (1455 to 2025 lb payload capacity - including passengers on the Tundra.) It will tow 6500 lbs though.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Many panels on modern cars are also galvanised. That makes a *big* difference.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

There's simply not much demand for anything more.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes I knew you would be saying "my dick is bigger than your dick". All so very predictable.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yes, they have heavier duty undercarriage elswhere in the World to carry one ton. In America and possibly Canada they fit soft springs to provide a more comfortable ride. In Europe and especially Asia and some middle Eastern countries these things are beasts of burden.

As I said, different suspension.

Yes, the Hilux is sold as a 1 ton - but not NEARLY all

Almost all Hilux sold in most areas ouside North America are rated at 1 ton with the HD underpinnings. They have never been sold here downrated to half a ton.

Legal limit to tow here is 3.5 tons and 4 tons with rare coupled brakes. Once more capacity is needed than 3.5 tons then the pickup loses favour to

7.5 ton commercial forward cab trucks which are ten a penny common.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Right, thus my point that Americans are harder on our vehicles. Three quarter and one ton vehicles here in the States are capable of far more than your "one ton" vehicles, because they NEED to be capable at that level.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Ahh yes, the bitter reply of a person who has lost after finding out that the facts prove him wrong. Its not about penis size, its about truck capacity.

Don't be claiming you have such tough, heavy duty equipment if you haven't got it, the ladies hate when that happens.

Reply to
Max Dodge

We have a right one here folks!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Before you stumbled onto usenet we had all agreed this was the way to follow up a post. Top posting is for newbies.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Oh, it is the "we had all" boy's. I've two words for you folks and they are not "get well". I'm sure you are aware that NOBODY or any WE ALL set's any rules. You may ask nicely for people to follow a pattern, but that's as far as you all go.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I fail to see any logic behind your assertion.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

200,000+ miles was not uncommon life on a lot of '60s American engines, revisionist history and memories of GM-built junk dominating people's memories notwithstanding. I've put that much on several engines of that era personally. The slant-6 in particular was notorious for just running and running and running and running regarless of neglect (you could kill one through deliberate abuse because it was a long-stroke engine and dropping it into a low gear at 70 mph and popping the clutch would pretty well stretch the rod bolts). If I had a dollar for every person I met who said "I'm just going to run it until the slant-6 blows up and then put a 440 in" and *never* managed to kill the slant-6, I'd... well... I'd be able to take the family out for pizza at least :-)
Reply to
Steve

The failure would appear to be on your end, then. The statement made was clear and cogent.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

A few European cars reached that service but not without a rebuild or two if my memory serves me. 70's had better engines. 80's would be better still and would certainly reach 150,000 miles given normal service. Most engines from the early 90's to today are capable of reaching 200,000 miles no problem but the majority never do because of age related reasons. The cars are scrapped before the mechanicals wear out. However an ever increasing number do high mileages in a short period with their original owners. Second and third owners tend to cover much fewer miles.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Huw wrote:

That was very much NOT the case over here. Engines of the 70s and 80s saw dramatically reduced lifespans, for a number of reasons. For one thing, draconian emission control mandates kicked in in 71, again in 73, and again in 75. The carmakers were attempting to comply with basically inadequate technology. Band-aids like putting the engines into an excessively retarded timing mode to combat NOx (and burning exhaust valves in the process), operating lean throughout the entire operating regime to combat HC and CO (Lord knows how many 70s heads I've seen cracked between intake and exhaust valve seat due to hot, lean combustion and a perpetually hot exhaust valve from the retarded timing). For another thing, the fuel crisis and emissions crunch effectively slowed R&D on new engines and on replacement tooling. A LOT of 70s engine blocks were cast and machined on worn-out tooling. Years ago I saw a comparison of key measurements taken on a 70s Chrysler block compared to a 1950s vintage Hemi block and the 50s Hemi was practically blueprinted from the factory, while the late block had a pretty bad deck height variation on both decks. And it was pretty good by the standards of the day. If you want to see horrific production variation, look at a big-block Chevy (454). It was so bad that there used to be an industry designing and selling esoteric things like custom-offset roller rockers, so that weekend racers could fine-tune their production blocks with the lifter bores cast-in as much as 4-6 degrees off so that they wouldn't have several cylinders with radically different valve timing than the others!

On the other hand, oil technology *was* getting better in that time frame. While all 60s engines were *capable* of long life, not all of them got fed decent oil. I don't know if you've ever seen an engine run on some of the ancient dino oils, like old Quaker State and Pennzoil from the 70s, or some of the refinery brands too... but WOW. The stuff would about turn to chewing gum in an engine. Today you can pretty much buy any oil and it will at least be harmless. That was not at all true in 1965. Nor really in 1980, for that matter.

To be honest, even the "bad" American engines of the 70s could do so IF the owner didn't just keep hammering on it when it started to ping because the analog vacuum octopus operated EGR wasn't working anymore, or because the primitive computer-feedback controlled carb was refusing to enrich when it should, etc. etc. etc. But the cars of the 70s and 80s were so soulless and pathetic that I think most of the owners hoped they'd blow up sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Steve