Bumpy Ride in LHS

1996 LHS with 115000 miles started experiencing 'rocking' or shaking motion while cruising at speeds > 40 mph.

I first noticed this on the drive home from a long road trip approx 1 month ago. Had just put on new tires, and when tires were first put on, the car was riding great. I thought maybe the wheels needed to be re-balanced, but that did not solve the problem. I had the trans checked out, and no problem there - trans mechanic things it's the engine. I changed the air filter but that didn't help.

The best way I can descrive the problem is that the car drives rough and everyone in the car can feel it 'shake' momentarily, quite frequenctly, while cruising at speeds over 40 mph. I say cruising because if you accelerate the shake is not as noticeable.

Any ideas?

Reply to
metsfan

A good possibility is worn inner tie rod bushings. These are a common failure in the LH cars, and they can behave like that. While not accelerating, the tie rods can have a neutral pressure on them allowing the fromt wheel/wheels to shake about the play in the bushing. When you accelerate, a definite pressure in one direction is put on the tie rods that takes up the play so the shaking or oscillating stops momentarily. Worth checking out as a possibility anyway, and just may be your problem.

Bill Putney

That's a good possibility. My LHS has about 115,000 on it, and mine were worn out. I replaced them a little while ago. They're right behind the engine. Not too expensive to replace. However, mine never made my car shake. I have had a car that would chatter because of a loose tie rod, but my LHS never did. Possibly I never felt it because the soft bushings weren't totally gone.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks.

I had an axle boot, and tie rods replaced last winter by a local mechanic, who I trusted, but now am starting to question. I am taking the car to him tomorrow, and I will come armed with your post.

Reply to
metsfan