Burning odor when starting car

I have been having an intermittent problem with my 98 Dodge Stratus with 45,000 miles. Some days, when starting up the car for the first time, I notice a burning/electric type odor coming from under the hood. I do not see any smoke and it doesn't smell like oil. It seems to happen only during startup but not every time. Other than this, the car still runs great after all these years. Any ideas of what the problem is?

Thanks!! no spam--remove last 3 letters in address to respond

Reply to
DSegal1027

Hiya

not familiar with this car here in the UK but check the earth straps from the engine to the body and/or battery, the return power from the starter might be going down a control cable and getting it a bit hot.

pottsy

"
Reply to
pottsy

You MAY have a starter dragging or getting ready to go out. It may be causing a heavy load on the electrical system. That can give you a smell from the starter and/or the battery cables/wires, when it happens. GOOD LUCK

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr