Buying a Cherokee.... problems?

Hi all, I am considering the purchase of a 1997 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0 inline 6. The vehicle has 55,000 miles and looks like it's in good condition with three caveats: 1) The valve cover gasket appears to be leaking very slightly. 2) The auto transmission pan gasket appears to be leaking slightly. 3) The A/C needs to be recharged.

These are not items that I would typically exepect to see on a vehicle with only 55,000 miles. Any thoughts? Are these red flags? Does anybody know of past problems similar to these?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Matt H

The gaskets should be cheapish but the A/C could be a very expensive proposition depending on why it has leaked out. Compressor shaft seal is a common problem these days that could cost you in the neighborhood of 1k to have fixed. Have it checked out before you buy.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Are you on glue? You'll spend about one-quarter or possibly less of your "$1K" to repair a leaky shaft seal and bring the system back up.

There are expensive A/C failures (evaporator core on some cars, for instance, or catastrophic compressor failure that has spread shrapnel through the system) but a leaky shaft seal is NOT one of them!

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The 2wd Cherokee is lower then the 4wd???? I don't think so... the 2wd and

4wd are exactly the same.
Reply to
Snow

I guess my major concern is whether or not it's really the just the gaskets that are leaking. For the value cover, that makes sense. But for the tranny, it seems like there's lots above the pan that can leak down and make it LOOK like only the pan gasket is failing.

Reply to
Matt H

No I'm not on glue. Very few professional shops will replace a shaft seal on a compressor. They replace the compressor, the dryer, expansion device and refill the system. Since the OP was asking here how big a deal gaskets and low charge were I think it is a safe assumption that he will be having the work performed by someone else.

General cost run from $600 to well over $1k.

Go take your Lithium Dan.. It's time.

Reply to
Steve B.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, it was written:

There is no call to replace the TXV, if the system is so equipped, due to a compressor shaft seal failure -- number one. Number two, I wasn't costing it based on replacing the shaft seal, but on replacing the compressor and filter-dryer.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

OK. Now you said "You'll spend about one-quarter or possibly less of your "$1K" to repair a leaky shaft seal and bring the system back up."

I'll leave off the expansion device for arguments sake although I feel it would be foolish to tear the system down that far and not replace it. A new four seasons compressor (which I personally would not use or accept is $392.84. The accumulator is $70.24 Which gives you a total parts cost of $463.08. Add a minimal 20% mark up (very generous) and $50 for oil and refrigerant (very generous). For a total of $605 and then add on three hours labor @ $80 per hour for a grand total of $845 for a shaft seal replacement on a 97 cherokee.

You couild probably save a hundred bucks by using a rebuilt compressor but I don't think you would reccomend that to him either. You could also save some money on labor but that would be offset by my overly optimistic markup and refrigerant estimates. Either way you are far from the $250 or less you are estimating.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Thats a valid cocern. Worst case scenario would be a front shaft seal leak that would require pulling the trans to fix. I wouldn't expect this problem to look like a pan leak though. Otherwise, as far as I am aware, the rest of the external seals are pretty easy to replace. Have a trusted mechanic check it out before you buy and give you a worst case scenario then base your offer off of that.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Pfft. It's not a wear item. They last for years. The only reason to replace one is if shrapnel has been spread through the system by a fragged compressor or a disintegrated filter-dryer.

I wouldn't accept that "new" (Chinese) compressor, either. Parts look much more expensive in your part of the world than in mine. *shrug*

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I've had 2 Cherokee's and 1 Grand Cherokee. They are excellent vehicles and the 6 cyl 4.0 is a great engine design. They last for years and I know people who have had 200k on theirs. The trannys are good and reliable and the parts are reasonable in cost. The weakest area on ours have been the brakes. Even the batteries have been reliable. I have never had to replace a battery even. The 98 that we have now still has the original battery and maybe it'll actually go bad this winter. We'll see. The 88 that we owned had 55k on it and I put a set of tires on it and several exhaust brackets (manifold was original forged). The 93' had 78k on it and had a bad condensor and that was due to the common hold downs that wore through the unit. We put 2 sets of tires on it The 98 (80k) has had a little trouble so far. The rear axle bearings went bad just out of warranty (but the dealer did fix it along with a call from customer service at Chrysler) and i put a set of tires on it last year for the second time. These have been good cars for our family and I wouldn't hesitate to get another. We have of course replaced brakes but they aren't that expensive and I do them myself of course. And I've put a couple of sets of rotors on them as well. But this is normal maint for most any car and the parts for these are cheap and simple. I have used the chinese rotors (white box) from autozone and advance for the last two cars and even with the cheap ones they were better than the dealer supplied replacements that were done under the recall warranty. Don't be afraid of Cherokees. They are good vehicles from my experiences.

Steve m... (Pittsburgh, Pa) Ps. I towed with ours. Check out the websites. You'll see them in the pictures.

"Matt H" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Steve m...