C-body leaf spring replacement

Is the leaf spring length for C-bodies the same as for other RWD applications?

I have '70 Newport with original 2.5" 6-leaf springs. The are tired, and I would like new 7-leaf springs. Finding the swap information is quite difficult. Finding a vendor is hard too.

Can anybody recommend a source for new springs? I know about Eaton, but am hoping for something easier.

Reply to
frank

B body springs measure 22" front and 36" rear from the spring center bolt! C bodies had 25" or 27" and 34 to 36" rear. You have a couple options. The easiest and cheapest is to add a full length spring to your stack. You can go to your local spring place (truck spring places do cars too!) and have them cut a spring the size and length you want drilling hole to your spec. (or get a wrecking yard one) Buy the centering bolt and spring clamps from them too and install it yourself. (they will make nee U bolts to custom if you need them!)

Simply jack car up and support under frame ahead of front spring perches, remove wheels, cut any spring clamps off and undue the U bolts. Axle will lay on top of main spring! You can undue the centering bolt or cut it, springs come apart. Add leaf and pull together with new centering bolt. Cut off access and reinstall everything. Do other side. Or take it to spring place (yellow pages) and have them re arc existing and add leaf and replace any worn bushings!!! Most can build new spring sets too!!!!! Check you local spring guys and price quotes first!!!

Just suspension 1-800-872-1548 tech 973-808-8889

Most will make up what you need! Dodgeboy

frank wrote:

Reply to
dodgeboy

Check JC Whitney, they have a whole bunch of leaf springs.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt