Can someone tell me what this gizmo is?

Had a chrysler Pacifica rental car and of course there was now owners manual with it so we spent lots of time trying to figure out how to turn things on/off etc. But none of us ever got a clue what this little window was on the radio console. Can someone ID this? Picture below:

Thanks.

To use my email you will have to remove the dash.

Reply to
1.156

That is the infra-red sensor for the front dual air conditioning for different driver and passenger settings. We have told our kids (both driving teenagers) that it is a remote lens for a video camera so we can record what goes on whenever one or the other wants to borrow the Pacifica! :)

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

That is for the new TrunkMonkey protection device as shown here :0)

PC Medic

Reply to
1.156

When Chrysler first offered it on the '99 GC Limited the brochure "illustrated" how it "sends out" IR beams to the driver and passenger to get info to adjust the temperature in each area. We have had our Pacifica since the end of last August and I haven't seen one of those curved red lines jump out at me yet!!! :)

Reply to
RPhillips47

Reply to
1.156

Ummm, I own a Pacifica (since the end of last August) and I came close to trading my '93 GC Laredo for a '99 when it was introduced. I have pulled out the '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee brochure and have it turned to the section explaining the "ALL-NEW INFRARED DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL". What I told you "this gizmo is" is exactly what it is. I was mistaken though - the diagram doesn't have arcs eminating from it. It does have red and orange dotted lines showing how the system monitors driver and passenger information. In actuality,........ "Dual infrared sensors mounted in the face of the unit then continually measure the surface temperature of both individuals - not the ambient air - and adjust airflow and temperature if necessary to keep them comfortable." The Pacifica, as you saw and asked about, uses the same system.

If it seems way too expensive for this use, it may not be as expensive as you thin - or it may be, but whatever, that IS what they are using.

Quotes taken from "The all-new 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee" brochure - Form no.

74-383-9913 - 9/98(715M), but quoted without permission.

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

RP thanks for the info. At least I know what they are claiming. Still not sure what they're actually doing. I'm one that doesn't believe everything I hear just because someone (C in this case) claims it.

For one, your body temperature stays pretty close to 37C regardless of the ambient tempertature -- until you start dying. Second, measuring surface temperature with IR down in the 30-40C range ain't easy to do. It's a lot easier as temperature goes higher of course. Anyway, it just doesn't make sense to me so I'm skeptical that's what's going on.

Thanks again for the info -- I sure didn't know Chrysler was claiming such things and I'll look into it.

Regards, RP

RPhillips47 wrote:

Reply to
1.156