Can you use 10W-30 oil in Fluid Drive?

Couldn't find the straight weight 10W here in FL, so had to put this in. Will it be alright? Won't damage the converter or the seals? Seems to drive OK, just wondering. Thanks

Reply to
sctvguy1

fluid drive what?

what trans?

Reply to
Rob

Seems like it should be better then the straight weight stuff.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You must not know that Chrysler made the Fluid Drive transmission from

1938-1953. It consisted of a Fluid converter with a four speed manual. Two ranges(First/Second) and (Third/Fourth). You used the clutch to move between ranges/reverse. To change gears, you simply got up to about 20mph, lifted your foot off the accelerator, then it would shift. Put your foot back on and go! I have a 1941 Windsor with the vacamatic shift, using a vacuum cylinder to shift between ranges. It required a special oil, no longer made, but it is like 10W engine oil. I was just asking if 10W-30 would be acceptable for the straight 10W, which is very hard to find.
Reply to
sctvguy1

well there lots of heavy equipment and trucks that use a transmission name like that so i had to be sure what trans you were referring to. we ran 10 weight Kendall in the hydraulics in all the loaders back in my gravel pit days years ago, and used straight 30 weight in the transmissions. but again that was heavy equipment.

if there's a oil distributor in your area they can usually supply a single weight oil if you need it. your only issue might be can they get the 10 weight in qts or only gallon jugs or barrels. i was buying a synth blend oil by the case, buying it here

Rob

Chrysler used to make this available for industrial use and marine use, so it is possible they were the same thing! Even steamships used a variety of Fluid Drive.

Reply to
sctvguy1

Damn! What the heck are you driving?!?!?

I found this, though it's not much help. One guy suggests hydraulic oil:

This link recommends 10W motor oil:

You can get single-weight 10W here...

Hope you need 5 gallons!

Shell has Single-grade Rotella 10W oil available. I would try to locate a well-stocked Shell dealer or distributor and try to get some of that.

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A beautiful, all original, 23K four door Chrysler Windsor, 245ci flathead six, vacamatic fluid drive and all the options you could use in 1941!

Reply to
sctvguy1

Damn! A Battle Cruiser!

23K?!?! Man. I bet it WEIGHS!
Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Of course I meant 23,000 miles on the odometer! Yes, that is my car, those twin four door sedans look just like mine. That guy maintains great Chrysler pages with great personal recollections to go along with them. Have seen his postings many times over the years. Are you in Japan? If so, are there any old Chrysler cars over there?

Reply to
sctvguy1