cap or fuel filter?

hello, it seems if my 1998 dodge stratus sits for a few days it starts hard and misses for a while then when it finally warms up it runs great. also i noticed when it's damp it starts and acts the same until it's run a while. i changed the plugs, cap & rotor 16,000 miles ago. could this be a bad cap or partilly plugged fuel filter,which is the original with 116,000miles?any ideas? thank

Reply to
randy pape

First, change the fuel filter ... at 116K, it should have been done several times now. Not changing it is now causing the fuel pump to work harder and may lead to premature failure.

Second, on the hard starts, I'd suggest looking at the fuel injectors as another possible problem causing the hard starting. If it runs really rough after starting it may indicate a leaky injector. If it just takes time, then it could be the check valve in the pump.

Lastly, I'd also suggest a good throttle body and air intake/throttle position sensor cleaning. Ignition wires are likely also reaching their life as well.

Bob

PS I have not seen a distributor cap or rotor on a Chrysler in about 14 or

116,000miles?any
Reply to
Bob Shuman

116,000miles?any

Cap and rotor on a stratus?.. Since when?

Reply to
maxpower

Damn brain fart again. I would check the plug wires, The fact that it acts up when damp or wet outside is a clue to having weak wires, The cap and rotor is a pain to install but the wires are a real pain

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
tim bur

As I said, A brain fart...Bill is this considered a typo?

Reply to
maxpower

thanks for the replies guy's. i did put new plugs , wires, cap and rotor at

Reply to
randy pape