Car won't start when temp drops.

1997 Plymouth Voyager Mini-Van 2.4

OK,

This is a stumper. In the summer and spring my car starts perfectly, but ONLY and I mean ONLY when the temp drops lower that lets say 50 then the problem begins. I turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. I have to turn the ignition key off then back on like 50 times then the battery will kick in and the car will run fine. It is NOT the battery, it is NOT the starter and it is NOT the ignition switch. When the car does not start because of the I have to go outside, lift the hood and touch the battery with a wire my mecahnic wired direct to the starte to start the car.

Whatever the hell this is it is MOST DEF related to the temp. I am baffled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Josell

Reply to
Josell Paredes

Sounds to me like your starter solenoid contacts are shot. The jumper your mechanic put in bypasses several things in the string of things required to goose the starter - one of those things it bypasses is the solenoid.

The Denso/Nippondenso starters that Chrysler uses in a lot of its vehicles is known for this problem after some age/wear (starter operation becomes intermittent and/or temperature dependent due to worn solenoid contacts). Do a search - you can buy new contacts. A lot cheaper than a new starter/solenoid, which is what many places would try to sell you.

Oh - wait a minute - here's where I bought a new solenoid/plunger set for the starter solenoid in my '98 Concorde with Denso starter:

www.partsamerica is the parent company for regional parts stores Advance, Schucks, Kragen, Checker, and Murray's. Be aware though that the local stores don't stock and can't order this particular part (at least not my local Advance store) - you have to order off the partsamerica web site.

Same kit fits your Voyager. $13 plus shipping.

Bill Putney

Obviously he is bypassing the Neutral Safety switch in the transmission. Have some who knows what they are doing take at look at the switch and fix it

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn - Do we know that both the neutral switch and the solenoid contacts weren't bypasss with that one wire? Is not the behavior more like solenoid contacts?

Bill Putney

If the contacts in the starter were the problem..... running a hot wire from B+ to the starter contact would still not allow the engine to start because the contacts are no good. . If the starter motor/contacts and the battery were good all he needs to do is run a wire from B+ to the starter solenoid to by pass the NSS. Plus the OP mentioned nothing about the Technician checking the NSS. That was just my opinion.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

My point was that maybe he bypassed the solenoid too - went straight from battery to the solenoid *output*/starter input (bypassing the solenoid contacts).

Bill Putney

Would a mechanic have bypassed the solenoid? He'd need a pretty hefty wire to do that.

I'd suspect that if it's an automatic, it's one of the interlocks. If it's the neutral switch interlock, put the car in neutral when it won't start instead of Park and see if that works. Also, when it doesn't start, try moving the transmission shift lever and see if that starts it.

Hmm, did anyone install any aftermarket security hardware? You could have a bad connection there or a bad relay.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

Hi...

That scenario should be easily identified by the gauge of wire used :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Yep. Mike and Glenn are probably right.

Bill Putney

It's just your starter solenoid not working. It may be the contacts, as somebody suggested, but it could also be the thickening up of some lube in the starter itself, making it hard to move.

Reply to
Joe

Ah oh!

Neutral switch: 2 votes Solenoid contacts: 2 votes.

Bill Putney