Caravan 2.5 TBI

Hello All:

I have a 1990 Caravan 2.5 TBI that was running great before I put in the garage for major front suspension refurb where it sat for almost 2 months. When I finished the work and took it out for a test spin, the engine bogged down really bad as long as it was cold and black sooty stuff blew out of tail pipe. Had to really baby the throttle to get it up to speed or just put it to the floor. When it warmed up, ran MUCH better, no soot out the tailpipe, but I could tell that it wasn't running at its full potential. Gas mileage went down from about 22 mpg to 14 mpg. Last night, I pulled the air cleaner off while the engine was running and fuel was squirting straight up out of the fuel regulator in a steady stream. Now I don't know anything about these injection fuel systems, but that just doesn't look right to me, OR safe. Am I right? If it is not correct, what would cause this problem, is it as simple as replacing the regulator, or is there external sensors making the regulator do this? TIA for your help.

Ted

Reply to
Ted

"Ted" wrote

You are very right on both counts. Sounds like a stuck injector (I presume that's what you mean when you say "regulator". I forget the price but they're not expensive. Don't drive it until it's fixed.

Reply to
Dave Gower

The 2.5 TBI has a fuel pressure regulator mounted on top of the throttle body in front of the injector. It keeps the fuel pressure constant at 14.5 psi. I replaced it, and it now runs like a top. Thanks for the confirmation that the stream of fuel shooting straight up was not correct. Ted

Reply to
Ted

This information does *not* apply to all years ('86 to '95) of the

2.2/2.5 TBI. Different system pressures were used in early vs. late applications - 14.5 is the "low" pressure system, and 35 (I believe, maybe 45) is the "high" pressure system. The fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and fuel injector are not interchangeable between low and high pressure systems, so it's important to get the one that applies to your model year vehicle.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern