Caravan rear gate electric retrofit

My wife is haveing increasing dificulty, due to health problems, bringing down the rear door on her Caravan. She is muttering about a new van but the expense is considerable.

Is it possible to retrofit an electric lift and close device to the door?

Thank you,

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

They convert these vehicles to handicap all the time, sure it can be done.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The conversion might be easier on some models. I am in the process of replacing my written-off 1994 GC. One of the vans we looked at is a

2002 Grand Caravan. The one we looked at had a stock electric open and close for the rear hatch which can be activated from the FOB.

Check the options that were available for your model year. If the electric rear hatch was available, then you may be able to get all the required parts from an auto wrecker fairly cheaply. If you can, then these parts would have been designed to fit properly in your van, and the retrofit should go fairly smoothly, and look good too!

Good luck.

Reply to
NewMan