Caravan stereo

I have a 2004 dodge Caravan SXT with the factory AM/FM/Cassette/CD player. The only thing I find regrettable about it is that it does not play MP3s. It would be a great convenience on long trips to be able to load in several hours of music on one CD, eliminating the need to be constantly ejecting and reloading.

My question is: is the same in-dash unit from any later year Dodge Caravan MP3 compatible? (I'd like to keep the same look and fit of the factory original, just adding MP3 compatibility...)

Reply to
Ron Seiden

You really don't want to mess with this or your risking your dash board being torn apart by some car thief.

Use a headphone-to-cassette adapter, and plug an mp3 player like a ipod into that.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Are you saying nobody should have anything other than the bottom of the line basic factory stereo because thieves might take anything else?????

To answer the OP's question I believe most of the 2005-2007 factory stereos will play MP3's. What stereo do you currently have? The model # usually appears in very small print next to the volume knob. It will be 3 letters such as REF, RAQ etc.

Reply to
Miles

That's why I was looking for a plain-jane factory unit that's exactly like what I've already got (except for MP3 capacity, which doesn't show)...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

No, I'm saying that if you put a fancy car stereo in the dash your taking an increased risk that a thief will tear the dash apart.

I realize most have detachable faceplates. However all it takes is 1 day forgetting to remove the faceplate from the car (thanks, wife) for a thief to destroy the dash. And the detachable faceplate also carries it's own risks - as about 3 months after I replaced the stereo, wife then dropped faceplate of new stereo on the ground and ran over it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Trust me the thieves know the radios better than you or I possibly could.

There's no loss of fidelity using a cassette adapter. One of these days even the low-end car stereos will come with mp3 built in, and when that happens, the OEM stereos won't be worth stealing.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt