Caravan Thermostat Question.

I have to replace my thermostat in my 1999 Caravan with the 3.0 V6. Have about 92,000 miles, so guess it is time since it barely warms up after driving 10-15 minutes. I am going to buy a Stant thermostat which sells the

195 degree unit like the OEM temp is. They also offer a 180 degree unit. Why would I want to put in a 180 degree thermostat?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel

You don't.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Install the part that is designed for the vehicle. 195 degree.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

As cars get older and their cooling systems become less efficient (radiator primarily), people may have a better sense of security by putting a lower temp thermostat in. It may be of benefit in some vehicles (like in normal operation if the thermostat partially opens and modulates to control engine temperature after warmup). It may in some cases actually help compensate. But if it's not needed, you could be making the engine run less efficiently, especially if it never gets out of open loop warmup mode. It might be considered by some to be a bandaid for a problem that needs to be fixed.

Bill Putney

I imagine it is there to help compennsate for different operating conditions.

When I used to live on the prairies, the owners manual for may car said that 10W30 was the recommended oil. However, if you read the fine print, that was based on "normal" driving conditions! In about November the outside temp used to go below freezing, and not long after that was going negative (as in -20 to -30) and staying that way until April! Under THOSE conditions, the manual recommended 5W30.

So if I had to guess, I would say that the 180 degree thermostat is probably available for people who commonly live and drive in hotter climate conditions like the Arizona Desert in the summertime. Under those conditions, the engine operating at a lower temperature could extend its life and even prevent "boil overs".

You could always call and ask DC or Stant, but my guess is that the

195 degree thermo is the >I have to replace my thermostat in my 1999 Caravan with the 3.0 V6. Have
Reply to
NewMan

Wrong. If the cooling system is in proper condition, running a 180° stat, even out in the low desert where temperatures routinely top

105°F, you'll wind up with higher-than-allowed HC and CO emissions.

I run a 195° thermostat in my 318 and never have overheating trouble...even with the single row core radiator. This myth comes from the olden days when people used to run alcohol-based antifreeze...running a 160° stat in those days would prevent "boil off" of the alcohol. Anything below 180° on most engine designs also increases piston/ring wear, as Continental found out in a long term study done many years ago.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Thanks for all your comments. Guess I will be going with the 195 degree thermostat. The "Mommy Car" sure has not see that temperature for several months. And it will be nice to have some heat in the van :-)

Dan

Reply to
Daniel

well dont be surprised when you finally remove it and find it to come out in peices, and make sure you get out all parts if this is the case.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to
philthy

Thanks Glenn, You are very RIGHT kind sir. I took it out only to find that the thermostat was broken on one side and bent out. It did not look like it had lost any of the parts from the unit. The replacement - a Stant - went in and seems to be working just fine. Although the Stant thermostat looks a little different from the OEM, with an opening a little smaller than the original. The main thing is the engine warms up within 5 - 10 minutes. Good thing..... winter is on it's way to Motown :-)

Dan

Reply to
Daniel

Happy Motoring