Caravan Transmission Options

Hello... I currently own a 96' Caravan Sport and am looking to upgrade to a Grand Caravan or Grand Voyager. I have read a ton about issues with Chrysler trasmission problems... specifically the 41TE, formerly known as the A604 ultramatic. I have heard however, that the three speed transmission offered in the Chrysler line of vehicles is actually a Mitsubishi make and is alot more reliable. Does anyone have any input on this?? Is that faulty information? Any input is very appreciative.

Jeremiah

Reply to
Jeremiah McNeal

Looks as if you'd better take a break from reading for awhile, you've got your information all crossed up. First off, the A604 was the "UltraDrive", not the "Ultramatic". Secondly, all of the transmissions are Chrysler-built, none is Mitsubishi-built. The 3.0 litre V6 *ENGINE* is a Mitsubishi-built unit. The (Chrysler-built) 3-speed automatic, which may or may not still be available in vans with smaller engines but is NOT available in any Grand minivan, has a better reliability record than the

4-speed overdrive unit.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The A413 3-speed hydro-mechanical trans is a Chrysler make, and is very reliable. Unfortunately, I don't think it was offered with anything other than the 3.0L Mitsubishi engine, which is a bad choice for a Grand (if even available.) In a short wheelbase van ('92-'95 is what I'm familiar with) the 3.0L/3 speed is adequate, but the engine is prone to top-end problems, e.g. cylinder head gasket leaks, etc.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Reply to
jdoe

I've a spanking new GC with the OD transmission and 3.8L engine. What is the recommended steps to take care of them properly?

Reply to
Not Me

Reply to
jdoe

Jeremiah McNeal wrote: > I have heard however, that the three speed

In the first place, the 3-speed is NOT a Mitsubishi, its a Chrysler and is heavily based on the old rear-drive A-904. Yes, its reliable. In the second place, the biggest PROBLEM with the 3-speed is that it was usually only available behind the Mitsubishi 3.0 v6, which (being a Mitsubishi) was a pile of oil burning junk. If you get a 3-speed behind a Chrysler 2.5L 4-cylinder, then you have a very reliable (albeit underpowered) van.

Reply to
Steve

-Follow the "Severe Service" fluid and filter change schedule no matter how you use the van

-Use ONLY ATF+4 fluid, never anything else with "an additive" to "make it the same as ATF+4" because that is impossible

-If you don't have a transmission cooler, install one

Reply to
Steve

That makes one of you.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"jdoe"

| Follow the severe service schedule, use ONLY Mopar +4 fluid in the trans, | oil & filt with recomended viscosity and quality filter at 3 mo or 3k | intervals (whichever comes first), you'll have a very nice runner for many | many miles. | Larry |

Change transmission fluid and filter every 3K or 3 months? That makes sense for the engine oil but the transmission?

Reply to
Not Me

Drive it reasonably, and change the fluid and filter every 30,000 or so. And don't tow a horse trailer with it.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Follow the severe service schedule. Hopefully you chose the trailer tow pkg. If not, add a cooler.

Reply to
Tom Ruta

Thanks for all the info... that is why I asked!

Reply to
Jeremiah McNeal

"Tom Ruta" | ... | >> I've a spanking new GC with the OD transmission and 3.8L engine. What is | >> the recommended steps to take care of them properly? | >

| >Drive it reasonably, and change the fluid and filter every 30,000 or so. | > And don't tow a horse trailer with it. | | Follow the severe service schedule. Hopefully you chose the trailer | tow pkg. If not, add a cooler.

Thanks

trailer package was not available but the cooler is a standard up grade in our family has been for more years than I can remember.

Is there a better choice on the make/model/type of cooler I should investigate?

Reply to
Not Me

Engine Oil every 3 months.

Trans Fluid Flush EVERY YEAR - NO EXCEPTI>

Reply to
Cloaked

There was lots of old info posted by a lot of the posters.

Assuming that you are talking about getting a new Caravan, the 3 speed transmission is no longer available. I'm talking about in the U.S.A.

Until the model year 2002 it was available only in the short wheelbase Caravan with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine. I've got a 2002 4 cyl, 3 speed Caravan built in Auguest of 2002 - an early production 2002 model. Ones that I've seen built after January 2002 all had the 4 speed transmission and it was/is no longer listed as available in the Dodge catalogs.

Approximately mid year during the 2002 production, they dropped the 3 speed transmission and all further production used the 4 speed overdrive transmissions regardless of engine.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

What if you drive 10,000 miles every 3 months? Mileage is more important than time for oil, unless you drive so little that your oil changes would stretch beyond 6 months or so.

Again, mileage is almost always more important than time in this case.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting