Caravan transmission question

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Dodge Caravan about 97-99. I heard that the transmission is very expensive part and don't want to be surprised after purchasing. So my question is what is the average life time for an elect trans on dodge caravan? Is there any way to test trans by a mechanic to make sure there is no problem with it?

I actually have the same question about engine and any advice gratefully appreciated.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I have a '95 GC and a 99 T&C and neither of these vehicles has ever had a transmission problem.

My only advice would be to make sure that maintenance has been done on any vehicle that you decide to purchase.

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Well, I have a 96, but it is the same design as the 97-99s. My Grand Voyager has 161,500 miles on the original transmission with nothing beyond oil and filter changes every 30,000 miles or thereabouts.

My 3.3 is almost entirely original. The internals are original, but it has had the water pump, idler pulley and starter replaced. Otherwise, just normal maintenance items (plugs, wires, filters, etc.).

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

We have right at 160,000 mi. on our 96 Grand Voyager w/3.3. No trans problems to date. Fluid and filter change at 100K and 150K. The engine has needed a water pump. Just changed the timing chain, and it was ready. Have replaced the starter and alternator as preventive measures. Other than that, just normal plugs/wires/belts/hoses/filters stuff. It did crash a fuel pump at about 130K.

Steve

Reply to
SSTEIN2

Reply to
jdoe

The first one almost certainly had a minor problem (input or output speed sensor, most likely), but it was swapped for a "remanufactured" piece of trash, which quickly failed and was swapped for another "remanufactured" piece of trash, which quickly failed and was swapped for another "remanufactured" piece of trash. That's normally what causes this kind of pattern.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Rob, I've had 5 transmissions in my '97, all installed by the same shop over a 2 year period. They kept installing a rebuilt trans and filling it with the wrong fluid. The replacements would last anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months. Finally a sit-down with the manager, owner and my lawyer resulted in a replacement that seems OK.

They have a horrible reputation but I'm willing to bet 99% is fluid related problems.

HTH, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

And the sad part is he went back to the same bad repair shop four times in a row...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

That's mistakes number two and three.

Mistake number one was your choice of shop.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

True, but it came highly recommended. It still might be the best shop in the area.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Rob, Our '98 made it to 74,000 miles when the tranny gave up and the tranny was serviced at or before reccomendations. My neighbor has had three trannys in his Caravan by 125,000 miles, now has 230,000 and drives daily. Research the web and you will find lots of unhappy tranny people. Although we replaced the tranny we have not had any other issues with our van. This van has well over 100K and knock on wood not a single issue except maintenance. Interesting thing is we have never replaced a bulb of any kind on this van. Not sure if thats the norm but all my other vechicles blow bulbs here and there. The van has stood up well, kid tested. This van has payed for itself over and over, even with the tranny failure.

ChickenFoot

Reply to
ChickenFoot

Alternator must be putting out low voltage. 8^)

Bill Putney

On my 1988 New Yorker, which I sold last summer, the only bulbs I ever changed were the cornering lamps and third brake lamp - and a few that were damaged when the wife, and then the youngest daughter, cracked up the front end. Still had the original plastic-bodied Wagner? headlamps.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Well my luck the alternator will have a big spike and blow all the bulbs since I made that statement.;-)

Chicken foot

Reply to
ChickenFoot

But if they make a mistake, then that's not too good. I once tried to explain to a couple of fairly good transmission shops how the Voyager tranny needs a firmware upgrade for its electronically controlled clutch to keep the torque convertor from self-destructing.

I once went to the best surgeon in the world but he screwed up. So for me, he was the worst surgeon in the world personally. I think my car just might outlive me, so you can't always go by reputation.

The dealers knew exactly what I meant and had the special cables to do the upgrade. The regular cables would not work since the van was about 10 years old. It was also about money. Worth it to buy the special equipment to do the upgrades? And to hassle with Chrysler for the firmware upgrades themselves?

Now a super good mechanic said any tranny guy worth his salt should know about this.

But the ones I talked to seemed to think I was just a jerk customer, which I might be :), but I was right about the tranny.

Found a super dealer, got the upgrade, the right fluid, and that tranny shifts like a Porche worth 100 times as much. That's an exaggeration, around 70 times as much.

Reply to
Treeline

It only affects the passenger seat. It was a factory order...and who would check the passenger seat....Driver seat was perfect. Vehicle is great, otherwise

Reply to
Sid

I don't follow. You have a transmission for your passenger seat? Did you turn your Caravan into a jet plane and have ejection installed :)

Reply to
Treeline