CD changer in dash flashing

I have 2000 Chrysler LHS with CD changer in dash and all led's are flashing. I tried to disconnect the battery but it didn't help. What should I do? How do I reset it?

Reply to
-Almazick-

Is there any way can be done in my garage?

Reply to
-Almazick-

As I said, you have to pull the CD Changer out and send it out for repairs. you can pull the CD changer out but I cant see you taking it apart to fix it.

-- Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

:) well, I do all the mechanical repairs in my garage so I was just wondering what needs to be done in order flashing to stop.

Reply to
-Almazick-

Can you please tell me in 1 or 2 sentences what needs to be done inside of CD Changer and if you have a schematic for cd changer that's a big plus for me..

Reply to
-Almazick-

Ok let me say it one more time. when a radio, CD changer or any other kind of audio device goes bad we "REMOVE THE UNIT AND SEND IT OUT FOR REPAIRS" Which part of this don't you understand?

Reply to
maxpower

you can't there is no reset it will need to go to a repair shop but a 10 disc changer would be cheaper unless u have the max care warranty

-Almazick- wrote:

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Anyone with a background in VCR repair could probably fix the unit without benefit of a schematic - as long as one of the chips on the board hasn't gone bad. This is one of those questions where if you have to ask, you don't have the skills to fix it.

Go to your local community college and take a 2 year program on electronic service technology, when you get out of it you will know how to fix your CD changer. Where exactly that qualifies you to work in these days of disposable cheap electronic gear from China, I have no clue.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Hi Ted...

Please consider not even joking about suggesting it as a career for young folks...

Until the Asian dirt cheap import situation changes you'd be better off recommending they take a two year course in the maintenance of hand crank starter systems :)

I guess I was lucky (?) enough to retire before 19 dollar disposable stuff hit the market, but I sure have seen an awful lot of really good service shops collapse since :(

Scary is the possibility that they (the Chinese) might make disposable cars one day. Five to ten thousand bucks, a five year guarantee, and they'll completely destroy yet another North American industry.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Reply to
philthy

I took a year and 1 quarter of EST back in 1986, the first year was great since it was all electronic theory, the second year was when we started to get into repairing devices, it got boring real fast, it was pretty obvious even then that repairable devices with discrete components were not going to last in the market.

Oh no, I would never seriously tell anyone to go into EST today - do they even still offer such?

We all know where the demographics are pointing - health care, driven by the retiring baby boomers. If you can be a doctor or a nurse you have it made, or a health system administrator, or a malpractice lawyer. That's where the profitable jobs are going to be.

Yeah, the only consumer electronics that are getting repaired anymore are done under warranty, and so many of those warranty claims anymore are being returned to a central national repair center in California or some such where the repair tech does the same device all day long, so they are so familiar with it they can just burn through the devices lickety split.

Here's an example for you of how futile it is, about 5 years ago I bought a car battery charger for about $50. I used it a couple times over the year and one day I stupidly left it out overnight and it got rained on while plugged in. So I figured, busted bridge rectifier, I'll open it up and have it replaced for a couple bucks. I opened it and discovered a power transistor regulator controlled by a speciallized battery charger chip. OK so I called the manufacturer, and bought a replacement board with charger chip, about $15 plus $5 shipping. While waiting for the board in the mail one day my wife says "look on Ebay here someone is selling a battery charger" and sure enough, same manufacturer and power rating of charger as mine, older model, for sale $10, locally. I bid the $10 for the hell of it, and sure enough, won the charger, drove over to the guys house about 10 minutes away, bought charger. I still have the brand new regulator board and the busted charger, I never got around to fixing it. And, the older model charger I bought (with a simpler circuit) has been rained on a couple times by accident since and didn't die. Go figure.

It is nice to know how to fix the stuff, but it is so not cost effective it's rediculous. For example on the OP's problem, if it was mine I could probably fix it - but it would mean at least 2 hours setting up the test jig for it, figuring out where all the hidden screws are and pulling it apart, then if it didn't have a mechanical failure at least an hour on the phone with various places in California ordering the replacement logic board, then another hour putting everything back together. And the logic board itself would probably cost $150. And what you end up with is a changer that is running, but has worn mechanicals inside of it, and is probably going to jam up within a year just due to that.

And for the 4 hours spent screwing with it, I could spend that same time doing air conditioning or brake work on my vehicle which would save a -hell- of a lot more money, and spend 20 minutes buying an iPod auto FM modulator and coupling that to a plain old factory AM/FM radio in the car that is of zero interest to car stereo thieves and that I could probably buy from a wrecker for $5.

Someone is going to have to repair them when they break down under the 5 year warranty - it won't destroy the vehicle repair industry but it will destroy the non-dealership repair industry.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt