Change interval for synthetic oil

The recommended oil change interval for my Dodge Stratus is 7500 miles, for *normal* use. When I was using conventional oil, I was changing it at 3000 - 4000 miles.

Now that I am using synthetic, I am changing it around 6000 miles, which is still under the recommended limit.

I am curious to know how often other synthetic users change their oil. While I want to provide maximum protection for the engine, I also want to avoid *overkill* considering the increase in oil prices.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

If you really want to operate the oil at extended drain intervals, send a sample of the oil off for analysis at places like

or others. The report back will include information about wear rates in the engine, warnings if any coolant is detected or if any wear metals are alarmingly high, and a recommendation as to how much longer the oil can run. Some people have run synthetic oils to over 12,000 miles and still had the tests come back saying that the oil had a good bit of life left. Lots of discussion about extended drain intervals and changing oil based on analysis can be found on the discussion boards at

Steve

I have an '04 Dodge SRT4 and the owners manual recommends oil changes every

3,000 miles (severe service) and states synthetic is the required oil. So, no difference to a typical schedule (although I expect the synthetic is required because of the turbo).
Reply to
Mike C1