Changing a front bearing, modified the alignment

Plymouth Sundance 91.

After changing the front bearing (driver side) I observed the alignment was modified. I kept the original steering knuckle and I change just the bearing. Is this normal? I should make again the alignment for the front wheels?

I did the same thing on a Plymouth Voyager 89, but the alignment was not modified.

Thanks for your reply, Christian

Reply to
Christian

Pressed in bearing, or bolt in bearing? If pressed in and you removed the entire knuckle to do the pressing, then yes, you disturbed the camber adjustment which is the two bolts at the top of the knuckle where it fastens to the strut.

You got lucky.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

It is bolt in bearing. Indeed I removed the entire knuckle to do. Now the driver side wheel is a little oriented to exterior , dragging to the left and when I am driving I have to force the steering wheel to the right to compensate.

I need to readjust the two bolt in order to put back the alignment (camber adjustment). How should I move them to come to the normal camber adjustment, up or down?

Thanks >>

Reply to
Christian

Best to have the proper equipment attached so that the alignment angles can be properly set. IOWs, you need an alignment.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I'd say it's mandatory. When camber changes, the toe also changes. Camber itself being off a little isn't going to hurt too much, but if the toe is off, you're going to wear the tires out in a hurry. The fact that the steering wheel is off center now tells me things are changed - mostly toe. Whatever you think you're saving by not getting an alignment is going to go for new tires before too long (also known as being penny wise and dollar foolish).

Bill Putney