Charger as police interceptor

There was an article in yesterday's Virginian Pilot (a Norfolk newspaper) saying that the Virginia State Patrol had taken receipt of several specially-equipped Chargers for service as unmarked cars. It went on to say that the V-8 engine put out 340 hp and did 0-60 in six seconds.

That got me thinking...In 1968 I purchased a Barracuda with a 340-S V-8. It was advertised then as putting out 340 hp. It was the quickest car that I have ever owned; it was difficult to start from a stop light without burning rubber! I wonder if this is the engine they're using in the Charger police car.

Cheers, Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I saw a new Charger police car the other day in one of the Kansas City suburbs.

It's funny how police cars always look like police cars, even unmarked police cars, no matter what make, model or year.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

The highest horsepower advertised for a 340 was 290 for the 6 barrel engines in the 1970 Trans Am cars, the 4 barrel versions were advertised at 275 from 1968 thru 1971 and went down after that. Was yours a special dealer package like a Mr. Norms?

I seriously doubt that is the engine used in the new Chargers.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The hemi is a new engine made in Mexico. Yesterday hp ratings were overblown compared to todays.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Dave

Here in the western suburbs of Toronto our regional police force has some unmarked Camry's and Volvo's parked on arterial roads looking for speeders. They also use Beetle's for special events just to show a peaceful police presence. I don't think the beetle would be an interceptor.

The same police force took delivery of marked Chargers (LX). Chargers are built in my county whereas the crown victoria are built 90 minutes away and the impalas are built 60 minutes the other way. The Charger purchase by the police might just be for show. Most police forces on Ontario use Impalas and the provincial police use Crown victorias.

There is a also a V6 package that Chrysler is making available for the police cars to make it more attractive for cities to purchase.

Reply to
The Henchman

I find that hard to believe, Jerry, that you'd find two horspower figures separated by 40 years likely to have come from the same motor. I don't think you're really wondering about that.

Reply to
Joe

No. The 340 hasn't been built since the 1973 model year, and the last of its smallblock relatives (the 360/5.9Magnum) went out of production around 2003. The current Charger use the same 5.7 liter Hemi v8 as the

300C, Magnum, and Ram trucks. There is also a "base" Police model that uses the H.O. 3.5L v6, and interestingly even *it* is faster from 0-60 than the Ford Police Interceptor 4.6L. :-)
Reply to
Steve

A few things...

One, the 340 was always absurdly UNDER rated. Two, the horespower took a big drop in '71 solely due to the change from using SAE Gross ratings to SAE Net (SAE Net is still in use, but the specified test conditions have changed a lot since 71, so a 1971 SAE net horsepower isn't the same as a

2007 SAE Net horsepower).

Definitely not.... although it does still use the same transmission bolt pattern :-)

Reply to
Steve

Depends. Some were seriously UNDERblown compared to today's. A lot of carmakers were deliberately under-advertising horsepower to stay below the insurance companies' radar in the late 60s. And ALL of the early years of the SAE net ratings (starting in 71) were on the low side compared to today. Short answer- the only way to tell is to either find a pristine engine from that era and dyno it today, or rebuild one as close to original spec as possible and dyno it. When collector magazines have done this, they usually find that the factory rating was on the low side.

Reply to
Steve

Well...yeah. But I can think of at least one example spanning 30 years where it is true: a 230 horsepower 5.2 in a 1998 Ram truck was actually the same engine as a 230 horsepower 318 in a 1868 Dart. At least from the cylinder heads down... ;-) nevermind the difference between a carb and MPEFI.

Reply to
Steve

I understand all of that Steve. I was commenting on the OPs statement that "It was advertised then as putting out 340 hp."

hey, I was just trying to be nice (for once). ;-)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

1868 ya say...

Wouldn't want to run NOS tires on that!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Jerry, in 2007, they will not be using a cast iron 60's designed V8. It'll most likely be a special High Output 3.5 V6

Reply to
Phil T