Charger fans upset over new model

Charger fans upset over new model?

And speaking of reviving popular old car names, Chrysler group is doing that with a new Dodge sedan based on the also-new Chrysler 300 sedan chassis.

But calling it a Charger apparently is upsetting some of the diehard Charger fans who revere the muscle cars from the late '60s and '70s.

The industry weekly Automotive News reported recently that Chrysler is even getting "hate mail" over the plans to call the new sedan a Charger, primarily because the car will be a sedan, and not a coupe as the original Chargers were.

Still, Dodge plans to roll out the new Charger in January as an early

2006 model, and it will sit in the lineup beside the Dodge Magnum, which essentially is a wagon version of the new Charger (even though the Magnum came first).

One thing that will remain true to the early Chargers is the availability of a Hemi V-8 engine in the new model, as is offered in the Chrysler 300 and the Magnum.

The car will get the same 5.7-liter, 340-horsepower Hemi V-8 that is used in those cars as well as in the all-new 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

As with those other cars, the Hemi in the Charger will have the cylinder-deactivation feature that cuts out four cylinders during highway cruising to increase fuel economy.

That was definitely not offered on the early Chargers, which could be notorious gas-guzzlers.

Reply to
MoPar Man

____Reply Separator_____

Interesting article, especially the pictures. An article about the Dodge Charger was accompanied by a picture of a Saturn coupe and a Pontiac Solstice.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:30:33 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio >

GM was using electronic actuators to stop the valves from working when the cylinders were deactivated. It was actually a pretty good idea but the technology just wasn't where it needed to be yet. There are many enthusiast that still have these systems and keep them operating.

Chrylser has taken a different approach and the hemi deactivates the cylinders hydraulically. Simialrr to the approach Honda is using with V-tec I have heard but don't really know for a fact to be true.

In a word..... No

The engine is intended to attract "car guys" and car guys like power torque burning rubber and all that other fun stuff. If it didn't do all that stuff I'd just as soon have a Kia

My LT1 hasn't met a mountain its scared of yet :-)

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Are the 2.2 liter 1983 Charger owners going to revolt as well?

Reply to
Joe

Similar, but not quite the same as the Honda. Yes it is hydraulic- the lifters on the deactivated cylinders are switched to "no lift" mode hydraulically. The Honda system is hydraulic and works by locking the cam follower for the "high RPM" cam lobe to the rocker arm or unlocking it and letting the rocker follow the milder profile at low RPM. The Cadillac V-8-6-4 was all electric and operated at the rocker arm fulcrum. letting the deactivated rocker ride up without activating the valve.

Of the 3, the Chrysler system is probably the least complicated, and we already know that the Honda system was plenty simple enough to be reliable. 99.9% of Chrysler owners will never even know its there.

Reply to
Steve

If 300C owners end up removing the mufflers as Ram owners often do, they will get some interesting one-octave changes in exhaust note as the cylinders turn on and off.

Reply to
KokomoKid

We're those "Chargers" the ones that looked like Dodge Omnis???? SRG

Reply to
SRG

Yep, they were like the two door Omni which was called "O24" the first few years.

Reply to
KokomoKid

Now THAT should have really pissed off Charger buffs......

SRG

Reply to
SRG

It DID piss off this Charger buff... but then they came out with the turbo version and the GLHS, and some of the sin of calling a front-drive econo car a "Charger" was forgiven :-p

I personally like the new Charger. I'm disappointed that it is more like the Magnum than like the Charger show car from a few years back (which I REALLY liked) but at least the correct wheels (rear) put the correct type of power (v8) to the ground!

Reply to
Steve

There are good designed 4 banger turbo engines and systems that will outperform poorly designed V8s. And there are good V8 designs that will outperform poorly designed turbo systems.

It isn't as important to get a turbo or a v8 as it is to get a good design of whatever you select. Sweeping generalizations like 'turbo is better than v8' like your making are purely academic and have no relation to the real world, and no value to people actually trying to select a vehicle.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

1982 was the first year. 4 speed and no muffler -- they were noisy but fun to drive. They had lower gear ratio in them than the standard O24's, and the ground effects skirts.

In 1983 the 5 speed A-465 came along, and with a muffler they were much quieter on long trips. I had an '83 for a while -- it was very happy at 70+ mph with the cruise set (back in the days of 55 mph speed limits).

The Challenger fans seemed to be a lot more ticked off when the Mitsubishi-build "Challenger" came along in, what was it?, 1978.

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

Acually they were made alongside the O24's for at least 1982, and I'm pretty sure that was true in 1983 as well. You gotta remember what cars were like in those days -- getting 84 horsepower out of a 135 CID engine was pretty good.

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland