Chassis Electrical problems. I think I got in over my head

I bought a 93 Dodge Shadow from a private owner for a good price. I have went over it getting it ready for inspection.

I have a few electric problems that can seem to figure out. The backup lights, and horn will not work. The interior light works imtermittently (sp?). There is power to the fuse box on each circuit. No blown fuses. According to the manual all 3 items are on different circuits.

Replacing the fog ligt revealed what I think was dried mud inside the lense. THe rear lenses had water in them, and the hatchback seem real heavy (so the air springs won't hold it up). I am starting to think this car was in a flood, or something weird.

I am only a weekend warrior on cars and don't know much about troubleshooting chasis electric problems. Any ideas?

Thanks! Shane

Reply to
Shane

Check up under the dash for water signs and pull the back seat cushion if you see signs of water dirt, silt or stains it was under water.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

No water signs other than what was already indicated.

Reply to
Shane

It sounds like you have a bunch of problems in seemingly unrelated systems/circuits. But they all do have one thing in common: ground. Check for grounding problems at the battery and elsewhere.

Reply to
Karla

It's "in=B7ter=B7mit=B7tent=B7ly". But, at least you care!! Good luck on the Shadow problem.

Reply to
miketaylor75

In my 89 Dodge Grand Caravan, the backup lights would not work. I traced the problem to a defective "Neutral Safety Switch" in the automatic transmission. eldred30

Reply to
eldred30

I have a '93 dakota and the back up lights and the ac cycle switch were on the same fuse, replaced the fuse and viola!I have ac and back up lights, I would check all your fuses again and relays.

Reply to
TNKEV

I got it fixed. It was a shorted wire on the floorboard for the interior lights. For some reason it fixed the backup lights.

Reply to
Shane