Check Engine Light (2005 Liberty)

The Check Engine light came on about a 6 weeks ago with a 305 code. I brought it to the mechanic who played with it for a while and the light went out, apparently satisfied.

Three weeks ago it came on again, same code.

I had to wait a while to bring the truck back in and during that time it sat for two days without being driven. When I drove it again the light was out, yet came on a couple days later, same code. A week or so goes by, I fill the gas tank and when I started the truck the light was out and stayed out for a couple of days. It's on again now.

I'm wondering why filling the gas tank or letting it sit for two days has to do with the problem. If the truck is misfiring on the 5th cylinder wouldn't the light just stay on until the problem was fixed?

jeffinputnam

A loose or bad gas cap will turn the light on.

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer
Reply to
Road Runner