Chrysler 2.4 ping?

Recently the 2.4 in my '00 Voyager van has begun to detonate or ping on mid to full throttle acceleration under load. If you back off it stops. The motor has 155K miles on it, and has always run well. It has had regular oil changes and maintenance. It is slightly overdue for plugs and wires. The only reall engine troubles I've had relate to the plug wires cracking and arcing due to heat under the hood. Is this an issue that anyone else has had? Could I be detonating due to carbon buildup? If so, how do I tell this? What else should I be checking?

Reply to
bruce

Check to see if your EGR valve is operating properly and the EGR passages are open and not full of carbon.

Reply to
Mike

i would guess its got to due with your spark timing or a defect somewhere in that area.

Reply to
boxing

Plugged up EGR passages or a failed EGR valve would be my first guess. Excessive combustion chamber temperatures will cause this problem. Check your ignition timing and check for vacuum leaks first..might be a cracked/broken vacuum line if you're having a lucky day.....

Chris

Reply to
Hal

The modern era 2,4 is a DIS ignition system:

I would say look at the EGR valve for sticking or improper computer control of it.

Also, there is a chance you have a vacuum leak, or low fuel pressure/volume.

Reply to
Refinish King

Could also be a knock sensor. If you could have someone plug in a scan tool, you will be able to get further info. Since it is a 2000 it most likely has the ODBII system.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

Possible, but not likely on an engine such as the 2.4 where the engine timing is computer controlled. Much more likely candidates are inadequate EGR flow due to clogging (as mentioned by a previous poster), or carbon build-up in the combustion chamber, or hot-spots and/or carbon buildup on worn-out spark plugs (the OP said its overdue for a plug change).

Reply to
Steve