Chrysler 2.7L engine problems, why?

I've read a lot about 2.7L engines failing due to the oil forming sludge. Has it been determined what causes the sludge to form?

Reply to
Bryan

I've never seen anything definitive on that, and Chrsyler certainly isn't going to discuss it. I have a theory that it has to do with return drain passages being too small, so the sump starves for oil, and that this is due to some concept that keeping those passages small helps with some emissions issues in some 3rd or 4th order kind of way. Some late model Toyota and Honda engines have the same problem, which leads me to believe that there's some common design philosophies with some unanticipated problems that have worked their way into several engine designs. It may be too that the problem is marginal in that it may not manifest itself with perfect maintenance, but the slight bit of neglect (oil changes, severe driving schedules, etc.) will result in excessive sludge, whereas if everything is done perfectly (oil changes on time, highway driving vs. short, stop and go trips, etc) may keep the issue below the damage levels.

Using Marvel Mystery Oil or Sea Foam would be extra insurance against the tendency in these engines. Some say that they would never put any oil additives in an engine. My reponse is that generally speaking, I would not put a tourniquet on my leg either, but if it's a choice between bleeding to death and possibly losing a leg, or, the alternative (i.e., dying), I will use the tourniquet and live to fight another day.

8^)

Bill Putney