Chrysler 300M chokes.

Got a 2001 Chrysler 300M with about 66k miles.

During the last few days in January 2006, it choked a couple of times when stepping on the break pedal. It litterally died out and the engine light came on. However, I was able to restart it every time. It seems like it dies when breaking, and nearing a stop below 40 MPH. So, I took it to the mechanic. Of course, the mechanic, first put it on the "computer" and there were no errors returned. They fired it up right away with no obvious ignition issues. He claimed that he tested wiring and other "typical diagnostics" such as sensors and found nothing majorly wrong. As a result, he recommended minor tune up (spark plugs, etc.) and fuel injector clean up. The Mechanic recommended, ans we agree to this minor maintainence.

Unfortunately, following pick up, on our way back home, it died again. I checked Chrysler's website for recalls, but I found nothing on this kind of problem. Your tips will be appreciated.

Vikings

Reply to
Vikings

Be clear, now: It happens *as you step on the brake pedal*? Or it happens

*as you near a stop*, whether or not you are stepping on the brake (not "break") pedal?

If it is definitely related to brake pedal application, perhaps it is a vacuum problem with your power brakes. If, on the other hand, it is related to slowing to a stop regardless of brake application, then the problem is more likely to be with the vehicle speed sensor and/or AIS (idle air control).

You need to get the car to a much better diagnostician than the "mechanic" you took it to.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

This sounds like what happened to me and it was a sensor although, I could not start the car again.

I'll reply back and let you know which sensor was replaced.

Also, being a Vikings fan, (Minnesota) please refrain from using Vikings and Choke in either the same sentence or paragraph ;-)

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Thanks for making me reflect on this mechanical problem. "It happens on and off as I near a stop". In fact, it happened once or twice while idleing. However, it did happen at least once while driving about 65m/hr down to

55m/hr while break>> Got a 2001 Chrysler 300M with about 66k miles.

I will take it to a different mechanic. Thanks you.

Reply to
Vikings via CarKB.com

Funny!!!

I can relate to the "Vik>This sounds like what happened to me and it was a sensor although, I could

Reply to
Vikings via CarKB.com

Reply to
philthy

I had a similar problem on my old Caravan. Here were the symptoms: 1) Engine stalled when I took my foot off the gas, but only after it had run for awhile. (not when cold). 2) Gas mileage degraded about 10% 3) Heater only blew luke-warm air 4) Code "22" was set (checked using the method posted at ALLPAR -

All these were fixed by replacing the thermostat, it was stuck open. This caused the computer to feed to much gasoline, which caused the stalling. As always, YMMV.

Reply to
jzavacky

Hello all

I was just wondering if anyone came up with a solution to the stalling problem I have exactly the same symptoms as Vikings..... I have replaced the PCV and crankshaft..the car sounds better but it still stalls when slowing down after the car has been running for awhile

-- hrdrocker37

View this thread:

Send from

hrdrocker37

HEY!!!

That's my team. Oh, well if they belong together ;-)

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

stalls when slowing down after the car has been running for awhile.

Based on posts on the 300M Club forums, 9 times out of 10, replacing the fuel pump fixes this problem. Youi might take some fuel pressure readings under different conditions to look for indications.

Bill Putney