Chrysler 300M with Automatic Headlights

My wife has a Chrysler 300M with Automatic Headlights. With the headlight switch in the Automatic position, the headlights will come on for no reason, stay on for a minute or so and then go off again. This can happen when the car is first parked, but it can also happen hours later, or the next day. It can happen whether it is day or night, so I don't believe that it is the photo cell.

Our work around is to keep the headlight switch in the off position.

Does any one know what part is probably causing this problem, the procedure for replacing it, and the cost of the part?

I can replace $10 parts to trouble shoot the problem. If it's a $400 dollar part, I need to figure it out before replacing the part.

Reply to
Todd

First thing to do is to work the switch. Also work the interior light switch. It probably won't fix the problem but sometimes contacts get corroded and it solves the lights issue.

Reply to
Art

As I said, my work around was to turn the switch to Off, and we havn't tried it on Automatic since. I will turn the switch back and forth a few times, and then set it to Automatic and see what happens. It's worth a try.

But then if it doesn't work what should I replace, and how do you get to it?

Todd

Reply to
Todd

I wonder what year this vehicle is?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

You might do a search on the 300M Club forums

. Seems I remember more than a couple of threads on your exact problem - as they often do, they may have come up with a definitive standard cause and solution (as neither of my Concordes has automatic lights, I didn't pay much attention). It may be as somple as disconnecting the battery or pulling a fuse to reset some controls, but do the search.

Bill Putney
2004

Todd

Reply to