Chrysler 4.0 liter - Timing chain or belt?

Does the Chrysler 4.0 liter that you can get in the 2008 Town and Country and Dodge Grand Caravan have a timing chain or belt?

Reply to
ngpost1

Belt

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Belt. That engine is based on the 3.5L v6, so it shares the same belt arrangement. The good news is that the 3.5 very rarely breaks a timing belt, even when people go past the recommended change mileage.

Reply to
Steve

The other good news is if the belt does break before the replacement is due on the belt. The lifetime powertrain warranty would kick in

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

That isn't going to help people buying them used, which is going to affect resale value I would think - is this an interference engine or not?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I have never seen a timing belt break on one of these vehicles due to mileage. This engine does not have a free wheeling valve train

Reply to
maxpower

Its not freewheeling (the first-gen 3.5 was, but the 2nd gen and 4.0 are not). However, it really does appear that the belt nearly never breaks on these engines. Its sorta like the opposite of the Spirit R/T engine that ate a belt every 10,000 miles, I guess ;-) I've seen one 3.5L belt fail due to extreme neglect (well over 150k miles) combined with the water pump failing and chewing up the belt. But I've also seen a waterpump fail and the belt *not* fail despite getting smoking-hot on the seized water pump pulley. The engine started to overheat due to the stopped waterpump and the driver (my wife) pulled over before the belt or the engine was damaged.

Reply to
Steve

replying to maxpower, Saveadollar wrote: Can I change it myself without disrupting my lifetime warranty?

Reply to
Saveadollar

replying to maxpower, SALAH GIAWASHI wrote: is the 2008 dodge caravan 4.0 engine an interference engine or not?

Reply to
SALAH GIAWASHI