Chrysler "C" Body HP Exhuast manifolds

I'd like to keep the stock look of cast iron manifolds, but add a bit of performance to my 1963 413CID. What engine donors would have the HP exhaust manifolds and would be a bolt on replacement? Casting numbers would be much appreciated :)

Robert

Reply to
RM

There's no reason to change manifolds. If you feel your present exhaust is overly restrictive, put in a system of duals all the way back, of thoughtfully-selected pipe diameter, and with a balance pipe between the two sides.

-DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I already have duals all the way back, 2.25" pipes, however I do not have an 'X' or 'H' crossover. Honestly, it's not that I feel that they are too restrictive at this point, but I plan on some mild performance and reliability upgrades, and figured while I was at it....

Bad move?

Robert

Reply to
RM

That is *PLENTY*, you don't need to spend money on new manifolds (and the HP manifolds do cost a great deal of money). Just add a crossover. "H" is fine, there's no need for "X". You can find all kinds of web tutorials on how to figure out the most advantageous place to put the crossover pipe in place.

This'll leave you with more time and money to spend on things that'll actually make a cost-effective difference while driving the car.

In the interest of blatant, shameless self-promotional interest, I'll suggest you hit my website and think about your car's lighting system.

-DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I definitely will!

Thanks

Robert

Reply to
RM

I disagree with Dan on that one- there's a pretty substantial difference between HP cast iron manifolds and the restrictive "log" type standard manifolds- especially on an engine bigger than a 383. Getting an HP manifold that is a true "bolt-on" replacement is impossible, though, because the flange on the HP manifold is different (wider bolt spacing, larger opening, bolt holes may be indexed at a different angle). Any 383 or 440-powered C-body that had HP manifolds (TNT, Magnum, or Super Commando engine package) will make a good donor, and the manifolds will bolt right up to the heads just fine. Its just the exhaust down-pipes that will have to be changed.

Reply to
Steve

Oh, I misread his intention -- thought he wanted to hunt up the scarce many-hundreds-of-dollars-apiece items from a '60-'62 crossram setup as found in e.g. the letter cars.

RM, listen to Steve, he's done more manifold swaps on big blocks than I have.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Cool....Problem is, there seems to be an abundance of "B" body manifolds and few "C" bodies. But I'll continue to look.

Thanks Steve and Daniel

Robert

Reply to
RM

Hmmm... I didn't even register that as a possibility since those are made of unobtanium (nearly). At any rate, a swap to the late-60s vintage C-body HP manifolds is not really expensive (maybe $40 to $60 per manifold plus the work to change the flanges on the exhaust system) and has more benefit for a nearly-stock engine than headers do but without all the leaks and fitting required for headers. Any more than a slightly-warmed stock engine, though, and headers win performance-wise.

Oh, and Dan's right about the crossover pipe (aka H-pipe or balance pipe) between the sides of the dual exhaust. That gives a pretty big boost to low-end torque.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg