Chrysler group set to kill off its Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring coupes

The coupe is nothing more - or less - than a Galant / Eclipse. 100% Bitsumishi. I won't shed a tear. In fact, I will dance on Mitsubishi's grave. The friendly folks who built the Zeros that 'did' Pearl Harbor.

The sedan and ragtop is a great car, and a true Mopar. U.S. designed and built, no Daimler stuff, either.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

Not much of an argument, is it? This could be an argument against all German and Japanese products and even Italian products (maybe you do boycott all those).

Furthermore, should we refuse to buy IBM because they sold the punch cards to the German government that helped them organise the holocaust?

BTW, I have read that the Japanese did the Americans (and the rest of the 'west') a great favour at Pearl Harbor because it a convinced Americans to join the war and destroyed what was a rather outdated fleet of ships, thus forcing the US govt to build a much more modern fleet...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I agree that they're very serviceable cars. I was just commenting on the fact that they're practically invisible on the roads... just like a Camry. An appliance, not an "interesting" car.

Reply to
Steve

I'm just the opposite- I don't know many people that buy NEW cars and then lose half the value as they drive off the dealer lot. Buying a low-mileage used car makes more sense now than ever before... and its ALWAYS made a lot of sense.

Reply to
Steve

Glad you've had good luck with it. But I usually keep my cars 10-15 years...so want those puppies treated right from mile 5. Plus the depreciation hit isn't bad over that time period. I'm more interested in the more basic cars, not the high end ones anyway. But to each his own. Different things work for different people.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

That is a true statement...relatively basic transportation. For some reason, some people have a need to have their car define who they are. But most people don't seem to have that type of emotional attachment to them.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Keeping the car that long makes the difference. We bought my wife's '93 brand new in March of '93, and she's still driving it at 217,000 miles. But if you do what most people do- replace every 3-5 years, then buying new is very foolish. Most people I know who like to turn over cars every couple of years buy the car at around 1 year old, or get a 'program' car from a dealer which is not quite as painful as buying at full price. The downside is that you don't get to pick every option.

Reply to
Steve

I don't buy that argument. Relatively few people let their car "define" them. Its a cheap-shot at arm-chair psychoanalyzing- just like saying that anyone who owns an old Muscle car must be going through a mid-life crisis. No, its not about appearances, its about the MACHINE. To quote the editor of Muscle Car Enthusiast magazine, "its ALWAYS been about the machine, and middle age just happens to be when we can afford what we've always wanted..."

Speaking for myself, I spend enough hours in the car, and I *enjoy* both driving and maintaining cars enough, that I cannot and will not settle for a "generic people mover."

Reply to
Steve