Chrysler lawsuit on 2.7L V6?

I just read numorous web posts about Chrysler having a defective engine. The 2.7L V6 is known to blow up early in life.

For example

So is there any information about Chrysler fixing their product or a class action lawsuit against them?

I fear my 2001 Chrsyler is a time bomb waiting to explode.

Read this thread on

to your heart's content:
I think people hoping for action on this are pushing a rope - IOW - ain't gonna happen. That's just the facts o' life.

There were some changes to the engine after the '99 MY to help alleviate the sludge/catastrophic failure problem. I don't have all the details of what was done, nor can I say for sure how effective the changes were (i.e., if the later ones like yours are less prone to failure).

Also, I have a 2.7L '99 Concorde that I use for my daily driver with

190k miles on it - still running good (though it needs new exhaust valve seals like a lot of them do much beyond 100k miles - not a big deal - I might get around to fixing that one day, maybe not). Mine has seen almost all highway driving, I change the oil and filter every 3000 to 4000 miles, and I keep 8 ozs. of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase at all times. No doubt one or more of those two things put me way down on the risk curve.

Many people will tell you that the silver bullet answer is to just switch over to synthetic oil and life will be wonderful from then on. I don't necessarily buy into that totally, but that's just me.

There are some remedial (sludge removal) and preventative things you can do to reduce your risks, but how you go about it (without *creating* damage) *greatly* depends on how many miles on it, whether oil and filter changes have truly been done at relatively short intervals or not (and unless you yourself did the oil changes, I take anything you say about that with a grain of salt because there are a lot of shops - dealer as well as independent - that will charge you for it and not do it, so instead of 3500 mile changes like you think, you might have really gotten 7000 mile changes or worse, or instead of 7500 mile changes like you thought, you got 15,000 mile changes or worse!!!), and what kind of driving it has mostly seen (i.e., mostly highway, or a lot of stop-and-go short trip stuff, or a combination?).

How many miles on it, what is its maintenance (primarily oil change) history (and did you do them yourself), and what type of driving has it mostly seen (highway vs. short trip vs. combination)?

BTW - some info. to keep in your back pocket: If you take the gamble (i.e., don't sell it, and do what you can as preventative), and the engine does fail, the option of choice is to replace it with a used 3.2 or 3.5L engine (good, solid engines, almost drop-in/plug-n-play, and much cheaper on the used market because the demand for replacement

2.7L's is so high). Lots of info. on that
site about how to do that.

Bill Putney

Darn - I can't count - *three* things.

One of the statements you can't argue with: "There are three types of people in the world: Those who can count, and those who can't."

Bill Putney