Chrysler MOPAR Air Filters

I recently bought a few MOPAR air filters for my '99 LH car, part #

4591100AC. I noticed that the filters seem to be lower quality than they were a few years ago when I last bought some OEM filters. They are not stiff like they used to be (a little stiffer than Purolator), the paper element is now yellow instead of white, and they say Made in Mexico instead of Made in USA. The specs printed on them are identical to my older OEM filter.

The part number hasn't changed, so I assume it is still the same supplier. I guess there is no reason not to use Purolator, which seems to be equivalent quality and are even Made in USA, as of the last summer, anyway. A fews back, the OEM filters seemed to be much more sturdy than any of the aftermarket filters.

Reply to
Greg Houston

Even the manufacturers themselves seem to be moving to lower cost vendors.

I think that you are fine using Purolator. I have used NAPA, which are made by WIX. They appear to be of good quality, but tend to be more expensive than Fram and Purolator.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

so you haven't been following the oil filter debates over the last decade or so, have you?

Mopar changes suppliers for "OEM" parts like air filters, oil filters, etc. every few years. You really never know who's going to get the low bid next time around. Another reason to never use dealer parts for "expendables" like filters....

Nope, and lots of good reasons TO use Purolator.

Reply to
Steve