Chrysler-noisy front end

I own a Chrysler Town and Country minivan with 41,000 miles. It is making a rattling/thumping noise in the front end (It feels like it is under my feet) when I hit even the smallest of bumps and especially when I turn corners. I feel that it is a result of my hitting two large holes on separate occasions while I was traveling county roads. Does this sound like a problem with shocks?

Reply to
hotshot

I had a similar noise years ago. Turned out that my motor mounts were shot. When I replaced them, the problem got worse! It was then I discovered that the passenger side half-shaft was actually BENT in the center section! (This was shortly after I purchased the van used in a private sale).

Check those. Also, check your front sway bar bushings.

hth

Reply to
NewMan

It's almost certainly worn sway bar bushing and/or links. Their design is rather poor. Clunking begins after the slightest wear. They've been replaced twice on my 2002 Caravan with 71K miles.

It bugs me that this is a known problem for several years and Chrysler has done nothing to solve it...

Even one of their dealer mechanics has admitted to me that it's a poor design. Other owners ahve posted similar complaints on this newsgroup.

Mine are about ready to be replaced for a third time. I'm hoping aftermarket bushings are better.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

If the noise is persistent as you drive in a straight line and sway the vehicle from right to left really fast the sway bar bushing are worn out causing the noise. If you hear the noise as you hit a bump or hole, its normally the sway bar links. The bushings wear out before the links but the links will be next.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
jdoe

Based on similar parts for the LH cars, I suspect they are the same parts (Moog/TRW) that the other regional chains carry. Usually cheaper at the other chains. The Moogs (their 'Problem Solver?' line) are greasable, the TRW's are not. One owns the other (IIRC TRW owns Moog?), but I have found that regardless of which one you have the store order from the warehouse, you could get either one (Moog or TRW) in the exact same box under the exact same part number (the only difference in the box being a label of 'Made in USA' (TRW part) or 'Hecho en Mexico' (TRW part) - you might order two and get one of each.

Here is an "expose" on the LH aftermarket end links:

- not sure how similar the situation is for the T&C. Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with the letter 'x')

Reply to
Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy