Chrysler Radio 1996 Dodge Stratus (Chrysler Sirrus?) Pinout question with GMC S15 Truck

Hi,

I've got an AM/FM/CD player that I pulled out of a 1996 Dodge Stratus (I think this is basically the same as a Chrysler Sirrus) that I am trying to install into my 1987 GMC S15 quarter ton truck. I'm a little confused on the pinouts (quite different between the two) and thought there might be some experts out there to offer some advice.

Chrysler Pinout (2 connectors, 14 pins):

Feed connector Speaker connector ----------------- ---------------------- | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | | 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | ----------------- ----------------------

The top label provides the following:

Part Number: P4858555

12V D.C. Negative Ground

1: BAT

2: ACC 3: ILL 4: PARK 5: RF- 6: LF- 7: MUTE 8: RR- 9: LR- 10: RF+ 11: LF+ 12: RR+ 13: LR+ 14: ANT

GMC S15 (DELCO Radio) Pinout:

------- ------- --------- | 1 2 | | 5 6 | | 9 10 | | 3 4 | | 7 8 | | 11 12 | ------- ------- ---------

My quarter ton only has 7 wires out of the total of 14 hooked up (no rear speakers), the others are blanked. After an afternoon of googling, it looks like these are the interesting pins

1: 12V power 2: (empty) Antenna 3: Ground 4: Illumination 5: RF- 6: LF- 7: RF+ 8: LF+ 9: (empty) LR- 10: (empty) RR- 11: (empty) LR+ 12: (empty) RR+ 13: (empty) Memory 14: (emtpy) Dimmer

Ok, so I hook up the two radios using the following mappings:

C1 -> G1 C5 -> G5 C6 -> G6 C10 -> G7 C11 -> G8 C3 -> G4

This doesn't work. Radio doesn't turn on, no activity. I've realised that I have no idea which pins I should be using for 12V DC and Ground on the Chrysler radio, and didn't want to just pin hop experiment. Anyone have a suggestion? Where should the G1 (12V) and the G3 (Ground) attach to the chrysler radio? I know for certain that both the radio and the wires in the truck are ok -- the chrysler radio works in the stratus, and the old delco works in the truck.

Thanks in advance. Please reply both the newsgroup, and via email if you don't mind ( snipped-for-privacy@netrpg.com)...

Chris

Reply to
None

David

I believe the Chrysler radio gets it's ground though the case. Is there a stud on the case for hooking up a ground wire?

-Chris

Reply to
chris

Must be hot

Must be hot when key is on.

Did you have power to pin two?

It takes two power pins and ground to make a modern radio work.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Hi,

This is exactly what I was missing, I only tried havin the ignition OR the battery hot, not both. So, the radio powers up now.

But...all I get coming out is a series of short beeps that get faster and faster. Is this some kind of anti-theft measure (in a stock radio!?), or is there something I need attached to the powered antenna? (I currently just have a bare wire from that pin).

Thanks for all the good suggestions thus far!

Chris

Reply to
None