Chrysler Recalls 2.7 Million Vehicles

Why would this affect, say, a '99 300M but not a '00 ???

-------------------

Tuesday, January 13, 2004 AUBURN HILLS, Mich. ? DaimlerChrysler AG's (search) Chrysler Group is recalling 2.7 million older model vehicles to replace or repair the floor-mounted shifter assembly. Chrysler said Tuesday that an internal investigation showed that when the floor-mounted shifter button is depressed and pulled with excessive force when the key is not in the ignition, the vehicle's ignition interlock system could become inoperative. That could cause the vehicle to move.

Vehicles affected by the recall include the 1995-1999 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze; 1996-1999 Sebring convertibles; and

1993-1999 Chrysler 300M, Chrysler Concorde, Chrysler LHS, Dodge Intrepid and Eagle Vision.

Chrysler said the potential malfunction is likely to be most prevalent in vehicles that have had multiple drivers, such as those in commercial or rental fleets because of additional use. The automaker estimates about 10 percent of the 2.7 million vehicles is likely to be affected.

Chrysler said it will install stronger components to better withstand excessive force on the shifter

Reply to
MoPar Man

There's a difference between a stupid question and a question asked out of ignorance or desire to learn. Stupid questions are those that can be answered if he who asks them would only think about it for a couple of seconds.

My goodness, what a stupid question you asked.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It doesn't cover the '00 because Chrysler says it doesn't. Possibly because they changed suppliers or the parts were ALREADY changed in the '00. JUST because a vehicle LOOKS almost exactly the same from year to year, it does not mean that suppliers have not changed. Sometimes suppliers are changed 1-2-3 time during a model year.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

This is the bit that confuses me. "Additional use?" I thought we were talking about trying to shift without having the key in the lock. Why would having multiple drivers make this more likely (other than the fact that, as with all rentals, you are more likely to have a goofball driver eventually)?

JGM

Reply to
JGM

Reply to
mic canic

Have those fixes included any 2000 (and later) LH models?

Reply to
MoPar Man

The general design may have remained the same, but parts may have been different. The better question is, did they know it was a deficient design and improve it for '00, or was it just by chance that they had lousy parts in '99 that only showed up later?

Reply to
Greg Houston

Excellent question. I didn't get the multiple driver thing either. Assuming my '99 Intrepid is subject to this recall (and I see no reasons given so far why it would not be) I'm not going to be in a hurry to get it done. Since it's not critical for me ( I don't move my shifter handle when the engine isn't on) I'll wait until the dealer gets plenty of experience.

Reply to
Greg Houston

I imagine that whateer wears out is related to the number of times the ignition is cycled and to the number of times the gearshift is moved. Fleet cars not only get driven, they also get shuttled around parking lots and car-wash stations between every use, so there's a LOT more wear on the ignition switch and on the shift lever.

But seeing as its a stupid "nanny" feature anyway, who gives a rip, and why would anyone actually have the recall done? I mean the company has to OFFER the recall to avoid liability, but no owner has to have it performed. My '66 and '69 cars don't have any gear-shift interlock with the ignition and you don't see them running over crowds and crashing through garage doors either.

Reply to
Steve

The reason is that in fleet use with "extra drivers" they have a tendency to 'beat' on the car more. As a result a lot of things that are more sensitive to failure (like this thing they mention) will fail as a result of multiple styles of driving. I did notice on my 94' LHS that it was flimsy. But I never used it to shift other than just putting it in D. The GP is a different story. It loves downshifting to 3. It's like a rocket !

Steve m.... (I put 74k miles on it in 2 1/2 years. That qualifies as fleet use.)

Reply to
Steve m...

Reply to
mic canic