Chrysler T&C (1996) MiniVan (stalling)

Have been experiencing in the past few months my minivan stalling or quitting while driving. Approximately 4-5 times, my van will quit running as I am taking my foot off the gas at a light or slowing down/coasting.

My father-in-law said that it sounded like it was something to do with my fuel system or sensors for emmision control. No "Check Engine" lights occurs, so the local AUTOZONE can't pull codes, etc.

Help.

Reply to
clantonab

There are lots of codes which can be stored without illuminating the Check Engine light. Prime suspects with this symptom are a failing output speed sensor or wiring thereto, and a dirty throttle body and AIS motor/passages.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
jdoe

Without even removing the throttle body all you have to do is clean out the inside bore of the throttle body including the top and bottom of the throttle blade.

With the engine off of course, hold the blade open all the way and clean it with an old toothbrush or your wife's brand new one using a throttle body cleaner or some kind of gum cutter and be on your way.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
jdoe

Thats not the problem, the problem is no air gap around the throttle blade due to build up and the AIS is not fast enough to open to keep the engine running

Reply to
maxpower

Had a similar problem with my old 94 Caravan. It was caused by my thermostat being stuck open. With thermostat stuck open, the engine never got to full operating temperature, so computer fed too much gasoline at idle after the engine was warmed up. When I took my foot off the gas to brake for a stop sign, the van would stall.

Other symptoms I noticed: poor gas mileage (about 10% worse than normal) temperature gauge lower than normal (usual about 1/2, was about 1/4) heater would not warm up sufficiently

If you notice any of the associated symptoms as well as the stalling, consider replacing your thermostat. Also could be a failed temperature sensor, would cause similar symptoms.

Reply to
jzavacky

Truly appreciate the feedback from all! Definately will be cleaning the throttle body. Thanks again.

Drew

Reply to
clantonab