Chrysler; The descent continues....

They can't seem to get very much right. Apart from the milk delivery wagon (PT Cruiser) and the ricer wannabee (Neon SRT-4) they keep turning out pure crap. Now, they've announced the latest Hemi-powered vehicles for 2004. The Magnum truck (hicks take note) will continue, the 300M

4 door sedan Intrepid overpriced retread gets the Hemi, a Jeep (for the gay set) and some kind of hearse-like station wagon. What the F--- is wrong with Chrysler? The company that produced such works of art as the Barracuda and the Challenger is turning out frankenstein mobiles while using the venerable Hemi to sell them. IF they sell.

The Krauts have certainly made a mess of this firm. The Crossfire is the latest abomination. A horribly underpowered sport coupe with headroom for midgets is another example of how OUT OF TOUCH they are with the buyers.

They even have the gall to put out an ad on television daring to compare a bumbkin's pickup truck with one of their masterpiece muscle cars from long ago. Wake up Chrysler. It's time to get rid of the Edsel reincarnations and build a couple two-door cars with the Hemi. Make one a sports car, one a muscle car. If your goal is niche marketing, and this seems to be the case, what better target than the monied and bored baby boomers who remember you when you produced cars people liked?

Two things to note;

-A Hemi Cuda sold at auction for $1.3 million.

-Have you seen the car rental ad when there guy gets his keys, trudges to the parking lot, dejectedly expecting a mainstay rental vehicle like an Intrepid only to be confronted by a 1970 Dodge Challenger?? Then he smiles widely. What does this say to you?

-Rich

Reply to
Richard
+----------+ | PLEASE | | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | TROLLS | +----------+ | | | | .\|.||/..

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

It looks to me that Chrysler is playing the VW game. Higher priced cars with no status.

If Pacifica is any indication (can t believe the new 300!!!), there are headed toward big troubles.

Reply to
Saintor

Yeah, 1970 was such a high point of technology and quality, wasn't it?

Compare it to its competition -- Audi TT, for example, and it's square in the middle.

Note that most makers have dropped 2-doors above the sub-compact size because they do not sell. No 2-doors from Buick or Pontiac (save the imported GTO). None from Ford save the Mustang (and the T-Bird, which is selling so poorly it's being dropped). Note how the Camaro and Firebird sold? They didn't.

Niche markets have their place, but not for a maker's entire line.

Gee, I've heard of 1970s era computers being sold for a lot too. Should we bring them back?

And why did muscle cars disappear? Insurance rates. Emissions. Fuel mileage. Poor handling.

See any Infiniti coupes with V8s? No, just V6s. Honda? Toyota? GM? Nope.

Do you think it's just possible DC knows the market better than you?

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

Latest word was Pacifica is outselling its main competition, Lexus RX330 and Acura MDX.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

Talking about this, I am not if they really know the market as much as they should.

Who asked for the Pacifica? Who asked for an high-price 215HP Coupe? Who asked for a V8/rear-wheel drive Magnum? Who asked for a new 300 with Rolls-Royce styling?

Chrysler is headed toward a wall.

Reply to
Saintor

Well, gosh, Lloyd, why don't you do the maths and tell us? Here are a couple of formulas to get you started:

[Failure rate transmissions, 1968 to 1972 (A904, TH350,C4)/3]

divided by

[Failure rate transmissions, 1996 to 2000 (41TE, 4T60E, AXOD)/3]

--------------------

[Failure rate of alternators in model year 1968 to 1972 vehicles]

divided by

[Failure rate of alternators in model year 1996 to 2000 vehicles]

--------------------

[Average longevity of head/brake/taillamp bulbs, 1968-1972]

divided by

[Average longevity of head/brake/taillamp bulbs, 1996-2000]

--------------------

...and "square in the middle" is *such* a good place to be...

...which doesn't count?

...which doesn't count? (Psst...the GT40 is coming...)

And last time I checked, the Corvette had only 2 doors.

They didn't. In fact, new ones are being introduced at an increasing rate. GTO, GT40.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

MANY of us, but definitely not YOU!

Our Pacifica AWD is FAR superior to our last three new vehicles ('96 T&C LXi, '93 LeBaron LX Convertible, '92 T&C) and we are extremely pleased with, and happy we bought, it.

As for the new 300C and Rolls-Royce styling, you obviously don't have a clue about former Chrysler concept cars if you think the styling looks like R-R.

As for the Magnum, I am hoping that Chrysler will decide to sell the 300C version here as well as in Europe.

As for the Crossfire, I am too old and tall to be comfortable in it!

Reply to
RPhillips47

The trolls and pseudo-trolls knocking Chrysler have nothing left in life better to do, so they come in here trying to stir up trouble.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Actually, I think the Pacifica is quite a nice piece of work for a 1st year production run. I think it has leggs to run for a few years. I hear sales are quite good. I see them all over the place.

Now, I have to agree with you on the new 300. It's style resembles more of what you would expect from the Chrysler "Imperial" OR Chrysler "New Yorker" badges _NOT_ the 300. The 300 has a sporty legacy and the new 300 looks way too boxy and stuffy..certainly NOT sporty! It will appeal to the 65+ crowd...not sure why Chrysler wants that group...Buick already has that loyal following sewed up!!!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Uhm...many in this and other NGs have been clamoring for those very type vehicles. Why do you think GM is bringing out new V8 rear wheel drive vehicles too! The market has been screaming for them! Can you say Pontiac GTO? We all already know that luxury SUV market is very hot...Chrysler wasn't even playing in that space before. I understand where you are coming from...I drive medium front wheel drive sedans (Stratus/Sebring) and don't personally want a SUV OR a rear wheel drive V8. But many do...

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I also read this version elsewhere, but most recent reports say that they sold only 4800 units on a projected volume of 60000 units a year. They fired the marketing executive for this project and cancelled the Celine Dion ad.

Reply to
Saintor

Magnum?>Who asked for a new 300 with Rolls-Royce styling?>>>

Here's a better idea, find out who asked GM for the Aztek....and when you do, put him to death for 1st degree visual pollution....

Reply to
mark french

Saw it in Frankfurt and damn it's a mighty fine car, was quite overwhelmed !! Too bad I can't afford to buy one ;'o)

Reply to
Ponygurrrl

That you refuse to live in a 2003 World and stubbornly stay in a USofA that is quite ignorant ? :)

Don't get me wrong, if I could I'd buy a '69 F 100 with a 460 big block for my wife, a '69 Charger RT for myself and a 2000 Cherokee to play with. DC is about selling cars and making a profit. Now, Chrysler used to make a profit once every few years but DC makes profits on a regular basis. I agree with you that that is 'unfair' and 'uncool' but their shareholders expect them to do that.

Get over it. Martin

P.S. I am European and overhere people think my '98 Stratus 2.5V6 is a bigass car, I've never even seen a cuda for real. Now -that- is unfair!

Reply to
Martin Boer

More Like Bentley styling.

Apparently it's appearance is pleasing to the German (or European) eye. That explains it then. Both the Cross-fire and LX-body sedans are the German's idea of what (will) sell in North America as far as Chrysler is concerned.

It's a brick. What else would you expect from a platform (LX) designed to do double-duty as a sedan and cross-over SUV?

We'll see how many Americans and CDN's will be able to afford the V-8 versions of the Brick-300.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Reply to
Lurker

Because...?

Bill Putney

She's uglier than nine miles of dirt road. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

People who buy Lexus RX330s and Acura MDXs?

People who buy Audi TTs?

People who buy Crown Victorias? People who'd like to buy a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, or Jag?

Rolls-Royce? What have you been smoking? If anything, the styling is reminiscent of some older Ramblers and Studebakers.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker