Cirrus brakes drag

Thanks for helping out here.

My daughter has a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus and the right rear brake is dragging. I go for 4mile drive around town and get home and it is too hot to touch. I lick my finger and touch brake drum and it sizzles - so well beyond 100c. Driver side is just comfortably warm and I can hold my hand on it no problem.

Last week a friend of a friend replaced both drums and shoes and left side adjuster. The left side shoes were gone and drum was zorched as well. Right side was ok.

So assuming brakes were adjusted properly, what is/are likely cause(s) of one side dragging? I have read old post on this group that the hose can have a blockage that results in a very slow release. I would also assume a sticking wheel cylinder might be a prob - yes?

I am presently between jobs and am into her brakes for about $180.00, so I don't want to keep replacing this that and the other thing until we got it right.

thanks Bob

Reply to
yzordderrex

Hi Bob...

Not a mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt...

Happened to a friend not too long ago; turned out to be as simple as a brake hose that had deteriorated to the point that it was collapsing inside, and acting like a one-way valve.

Reading between the lines that you'd rather do a little grunt work that waste any dollars, a simple test might be to jack up the wheel first thing in the morning before she's gone anywhere, spin the wheel to check for "freeness" (is that a word? :) Then pump the brakes a few times, spin it again looking for change. If it's noticeably tighter, then play around with the hose a bit, see if you can't make it loosen up that way.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Hi Ken,

Took your advice. The hub was quite tight from the start. Car hadn't gone anywhere all night. I'm going to ask the guy who worked on it to have another look. Maybe loosen it up a bit and have another ride around town.

thanks, Bob

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Reply to
yzordderrex

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
jdoe

Must be a regional thing.

Around here, the NAPA choices are Chinese or United Brake Products, the latter mostly coming from Canada.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

United Brake is NAPA's house brand made by Raybestos

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Not sure what you mean.

The rotors didn't last 3 months, or the store didn't last three months?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Perhaps? Sometimes brakehoses can become defective on the inside. The rubber swells and creates a narrower diameter. You apply the brake and the good side does the work until the defective side can catch up. The defective side then doesn't want to release as fast as it should either. I would pull the drums one at a time and have someone carefully depress the brake pedal and watch/feel/listen what the wheel cylinders are doing. The springs should return the pistons smoothly as the fluid is pushed back to the resovoir. If it feels rough it will be a cylinder. If not perhaps the hose?

Hope this helps,

Ian

snipped-for-privacy@veriz> Thanks for helping out here.

Reply to