Cirrus CV axles

As mentioned in an earlier post, I bought a 2000 Cirrus over the weekend.

I have found another strange thing. On most CV axles that I have looked at, there is always the large retainer nut. This is usually covered by a another nut that has a place for a cotter pin to pass through the axle end, to prevent the large nut from coming off.

In this case, there is no hole drilled through the axle end for this purpose. Is this the way that they are done now, or is it possible that the axles were replaced at some point by lesser quality ones?

While I have never head of one of these coming loose, I would be more comfortable knowing that there is something there to prevent the nut from working it's way loose.

Thank you,

Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

It is a lock nut and does not require a cotter pin

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks. That is what I was hoping. My 1998 Stratus has the cotter pins, so that is why I was wondering.

The next thing I need to do is get the "power steering high pressure hose" recall done. The previous owner didn't have it done.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

The recall says it should take more then so much time to do, But Chrysler doesn't give a Shit about the technicians working on these vehicles and if you bring the vehicle in on a wait basis plan to sit around for a few hrs while the car cools off before the technician even brings the vehicle in. We have to have our arms all over the back of engine performing these recalls and it gets hot. My suggestion to you is schedule the vehicle for a nite drop.

Just a thought unless you have lots of time on your hands

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I never would have thought of that. I'll probably go with the night drop route. How long does it usually take to cool down so that it can be worked on? Is one or two hours usually enough?

-KM

Reply to
greybuck84

Most people don't and get pissed off at the dealer when they should be complaining to Chrysler, depending on the outside ambient temp determines how fast things cool down. 2 hrs should be enough time, but if it is a nite drop tell them to keep it for the day

Reply to
maxpower