Clunking noise in front suspension

I have a 2001 GC with 70,000 miles and when I turn into my driveway I get this clunking noise. I have replaced the sway bar links but this made no difference. The tie rod ends are not loose. It does not wander on the road like it has loose ball joints. I would like to get rid of this noise though.

Reply to
George Rhude

i'd say you need to check your lower ball joints with 70.000 on it it's time to replace them if know won has ever replaced them...good luck...

Reply to
Scrapper

There are two sway bar bushings that do wear out that will make that noise. They are two rubber blocks that attach the sway bar to the engine cradle - inexpensive, dealer or aftermarket.

Bill Putney

yes i agree 2 the block bushings..and there is stablilizer links and bushings also..

Reply to
Scrapper

He already said he replaced the end links. Not sure if that vehicle has the ball joint type end links (like the LH cars) or the more traditional rod and bushing type - but in any case, he indicated he already did those.

Bill Putney

Reply to
jdoe

TRW/Moog makes both parts. They are now the same company, but both parts are still made and shipped under the same part number interchangeably. I order two of the same part for my Concorde and got one of each under the same part number - boxes were identical except one said "Made in Mexico", the other "Made in USA". The Moog one is the one with the zerk fitting - part of Moog's "Problem Solver" line.

They also have bushings that imo are much

You mean like the ones I show here?:

Bill Putney

I used NAPA sway bar links when I replaced the links. I bought this Van new and it has never been wrecked. I don't want to drop this crossmember reinforcement piece but will if I have too. I do have the FSM. I always buy one when I buy a new vehicle. I have looked at the sway bar bushings without taking anything apart. They look OK but, I know that is not a very good way to inspect these bushings. I was hoping this was a common problem and someone would have a good idea on this one.

Reply to
George Rhude

Reply to
jdoe

Reply to
jdoe

Well yes and no - they ("RAMCOA") use different color material in the bushing parts for the different sizes (to fit different size sway bars)

- I'm guessing to help them visually distinguish and avoid parts mix ups in their plants. This red/blue thing came up later (on page 2) in that

300M Club thread that I linked.

Bill Putney

The bushings can be checked without disassembly: pick up one side of the car and try to "steer" the tire. If it moves, the bushings are bad.

Removing the reinforcement (I presume you mean the one going between the strut towers?) is no big deal, and is the difference between the bushing reinforcement being an easy afternoon and being impossible.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I don't think that tells you anything about the sway bar bushings.

Bill Putney

You are correct. I read too quickly, and my whole response was based on steering rack bushings. Never mind....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I appreciate you guys thinking about this but I guess I am going to live with it until the weather gets a little better. When I pull into the garage the road ice starts dripping and it kinds of kills your enthusiasm to do much investigating. We have two more of these vans at work and the Dodge dealer has put new steering racks in both of them as well as some other parts and they still make this clunking noise. Thanks for your suggestions though!

Reply to
George Rhude

Reply to
philthy

the bushing's wear in such a way that appear to be ok but are wearing in a eggshaped fashion allowing the swaybar to move up and down within the bushingsand a klunk/knock noise results George Rhude wrote:

I used NAPA sway bar links when I replaced the links. I bought this Van new and it has never been wrecked. I don't want to drop this crossmember reinforcement piece but will if I have too. I do have the FSM. I always buy one when I buy a new vehicle. I have looked at the sway bar bushings without taking anything apart. They look OK but, I know that is not a very good way to inspect these bushings. I was hoping this was a common problem and someone would have a good idea on this one. "Bill Putney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net... > jdoe wrote: >> Bill >> They have the ball joint type links. NAPA has avery good replacement >> (they call it the premium) part. It has hex hold points and grease >> fittings and is much beefier than the oem ones... > > TRW/Moog makes both parts. They are now the same company, but both parts > are still made and shipped under the same part number interchangeably. I > order two of the same part for my Concorde and got one of each under the > same part number - boxes were identical except one said "Made in Mexico", > the other "Made in USA". The Moog one is the one with the zerk fitting - > part of Moog's "Problem Solver" line. > > They also have bushings that imo are much >> better than oem > > You mean like the ones I show here?: >

> > Bill Putney > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address > with the letter 'x')

Reply to
George Rhude

I don't know this for sure, but I think all the aftermarket parts stroes stock the same brand - the name molded into the ones I got at Advance (shown in the link I posted earlier:

is "RAMCOA"(I don't remember if the box is labeled with that name or if they are boxed under some name brand like, i.e., TRW, etc.) Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with the letter 'x')

Reply to
Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy