cold start problem

Hi

It is RAM 92 5.9turbo. When is cold like now close to frost, I need crank ~30second to start. When they start, next start needs just one crank. I did check air heater system - is not working (heating elements are OK).It is like computer is not giving signal to relays. Do we have some temp sensor sending message to comp to start air heating system? What fore is this KSB sensor on the intake manifold? Do we have any cut-off fuel valve (sorry for my poor English)

Reply to
pj

I don't have any personal experience with that vehicle, but in general, it could be that one or more fuel injectors is leaking, so that when the vehicle sits overnight, fuel leaks out of the fuel rail into the cylinder of the leaking injector (or injectors). When you go to start it in the morning, the fuel pump needs a few seconds of run time to re-fill the fuel rail and pressurize it, plus there may be air trapped that has to be pushed out. Then, later, when you re-start, the fuel rail has not had time to drain down enough to matter, so it starts OK.

Some vehicles also have a check valve in the fuel pump that can also drain the system back into the tank if the check valve leaks, creating a similar problem.

When it does finally start in the morning, does it run rough, and or do you smell raw gasoline from the exhaust?

Reply to
Bill Putney

its a diesel Bill

Reply to
maxpower

Just seeing if you were paying attention. :)

Bill Putney

Not likely, Bill. A '92 Ram 5.9 turbo isn't a gasoline engine :-) Normally we call it a Cummins B5.9 here in the US. I was thinking an aftermarket turbo'd 360 too, until I saw him referring to grid air heaters... ;-)

Not likely Raw diesel, maybe, but hopefully not gasoline! ;-)

Reply to
Steve

Like Bill, I'm not really familiar with that engine, but I know the general principles. Below a certain temperature, the grid air heater should turn on. If they don't, it could be:

-The sensor that tells the system what temperature it is

-The ECM

-A bad connection

-A bad heater relay.

or maybe a few other things. I'd check out the temp sensor and the relays first, then start looking for bad connections.

Reply to
Steve

Air charge temperature sensor.

The KSB solenoid advances injection timing on a cold engine to reduce white smoke. The KSB solenoid is controlled by the SBEC (computer) based on input from the air charge temperature sensor.

There is a manual fuel shut off lever.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

HI what kind of electric fuel pump (in line) can I use with this engine?

George

Reply to
pj

If you're talking about a low-pressure "lift pump" then just about anything that is rated for diesel and has adequate flow. Facet-Purolator pumps are popular as lift pumps.

pj wrote:

Reply to
Steve

They display cods :12, 55 Any ideas? Best George

Reply to
pj
12 and 55 are start and end of codes ... 12 means the battery was recently disconnected/CPU lost power and 55 means end of codes. Without at least one more code in the middle, these 2 will not be any help in troubleshooting this issue.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

That basically means "no codes". 12 means "battery disconnected recently", or is always displayed if any other codes will be displayed. 55 means "end of codes".

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer