cold start problem

hello all,

I have a 91 Plymouth acclaim 2.5L car.

I have a couple of problem. I would like to ask about one of them here.

When it is cold, sub freezing temperatures, it hesitates at acceleration at cold starts. i.e. In the mornings, I run the car, start driving, but when I try to accelerate it hesitates. I take it easy, and accelerate slowly, it drives fine. After 30 seconds or so everything becomes normal even on hard acceleration.

What do you think about my problem with my car.

Ulas.

Reply to
ulas c coskun

It is a non-turbo 2.5 then it is throttle body injected so just like a carbureted engine it has a "wet" intake manifold. The intake has to warm up before it will run correctly. Make sure the heat stove system is working properly by pulling the plastic hose off of the airbox and check to see that the flap inside moves when the engine is started cold. Also make sure the metal flex tube going from the bottom of the airbox to the exhaust manifold shroud is intact.

Beyond that you may need to do a tune-up.

DO NOT hotrod (hard accelerate) a 2.2 or 2.5 when it is cold. It is an iron block aluminum head engine and hotrodding it will blow the head gasket. Aluminum expands faster than iron and steel so as the engine warms up the head expands more than the head bolts and increases the clamping force on the gasket.

My sister cold hotrodded my aunt's '92 Dodge Spirit 2.5 (same car as yours) taking her back and forth to her doctor's appointments halfway across the state and blew the head gasket between the #2 and #3 cylinders.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

snipped-for-privacy@z26g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

This is the best answers I got for a long time. Thank you for your time. I know my metal flex tube has problems. I will check the flaps also. When the weather gets warmer I will work on it. it is teens outside now.

Have a good year guys.

Reply to
ulas c coskun