Comparable pieces?

OK, bad title but I didn't know how to phrase it. I have a 1993 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan that needs new rear leaf springs. (It currently has the single leaf version and I want to upgrade to the 3 leaf version.) I plan to start scouring the bone yards this weekend. My question is, besides other

1993 T&C's are there any other mini-vans (or even other cars) that were built on the same chassis who's springs might be a fit if I can't find a T&C? Would a Caravan of the same era have the same spring length and mounting method?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chad

Reply to
dave

Hi Chad,

Grand Caravan and T&C are the same chassis, as is Voyager LE I think.

I've gone through this before and here is my 2 cents.

Don't waste your time in a wrecking yard for leaf springs, all of them will be shot. Plus they will have the crap rusted out of them and be hell to remove.

Go to JC Whitney

Click on the Truck tab

Click Suspension and Chassis on the left hand menu

Click Leaf Springs

Click INFO/BUY on the listing for LEAF SPRINGS for pickups, vans and SUVs at the top

Select your year, 1993

Select Make and Model Dodge

Look on the listing for Grand Caravan 1984-1995 You want ZX940597B for the 4 leaf, or ZX940596U for the 5 leaf

You can also select Chrysler on the Make and Model but then the computer only displays the 5 leaf springs.

You can try calling around to your local parts places but the last time I did that, most of them told me the aftermarket didn't make leaf springs (which is a lie) or they wanted amazingly large amounts of money to special order them.

Some of the large cities do have shops that do custom leaf springs. Once again, prepare to be sticker shocked.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Ted, Thanks for the info, that is tremendous!!! I hadn't heard of the 4 and 5 leaf varieties... I'll have to do some research on the various weight capacities and see which way I want to go. The van has a MASSIVE 2" class IV hitch on it which I was going to remove (I Can't believe the revious owner put it on with only the single leaf springs, myself) but there are sporadic times it could be handy. If the 5 leaf can handle the hitch in daily riving with only very sporadic utility trailer duty ( compost center, nursery shrubs kind of stuff) then maybe I'll keep it

Thanks again!!

Reply to
nobody

***snip***

A couple more questions arise from following Ted's advice. How is it that the 4 leaf has a higher load rating (1450 pounds) than the 5 leaf (1430)? I know it's a miniscule weight number but does it also translate differently in ride stiffness? Is it 4 really thick, really stiff leaves versus 5 softer springs?

Does anyone have any experience with one vs. the other?

Thanks again!

Chad

Reply to
nobody