Compressor noise 1990 Voyager 3.3L

Hi:

I'm getting what can only be described as a "growling" noise at RPMs just above idle. I'm 95% sure it's coming from the air conditioner compressor, likely a bearing. Is this a difficult thing to disassemble? My shop manual doesn't seem to say much about this.

Dave

Reply to
Dave McCormick

jdoe

Yes, and hygienically clean conditions are required to do it. Also special tools. Also, legally the refrigerant CANNOT be vented, it MUST be captured (and even if this weren't the law, it only makes good sense; R12 is very expensive.)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The factory service manual contains full teardown and rebuild instructions for the compressor.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yeah, it might be easier to just find another compressor to use. There isn't any refrigerant in the unit; hasn't had for years. Basically, up here in Saskatchewan, you need heat more than cooling, at least for most for most of the year. Anyway, the disassembly pictures in the manual aren't all that encouraging. It might be a job better suited for a professional. In any case, I have a stethoscope that I can use to try and localize the source of the noise.

Reply to
Dave McCormick

Reply to
The Bathtub Admiral